• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

finally taking the first step to flashing a new rom on my 5x xD

Sento

normally when i get an android phone i'm using a custom rom within a wek, but i guess because i dont have a usb c -> type a cable i been procrastinating lol, but i finally ordered one and got pure nexus download, can't wait to get it - tbh im a huge google fan, but google roms have bee complete garbage since 5.0 :(

btw anybody else think the nexus 5x usb cable is springy and annoying? hoping this new cable isn't springy :(

Last edited:
so its been a few days on pure nexus now - LOVE IT. everything feels smoother, no more random glitches (tbh google roms have felt less "pure android experience" and more "cheap windows laptop filled with bloatware" since 5.0.1, but with pure nexus this device now feels like a solid flagship!! loving it!

i flashed pure nexus, and then saw it only comes with like the phone app and calculator app lol - so then i got opengaaps and flashed the minimum version (pico) so i could get google playstore, and from there i installed the apps i needed, so now i have everything i need on this phone, and nothing that i don't :) All together i have 17 apps installed on my phone right now :) (including project fi) everything is so zip zip zoom fast :O - finally feels like how a nexus device should feel!! also with 2015 specs, i'm on cloud nine!

also it looks like google discontinued its google camera :( so im using open camera now.

I've been an early adopter of Android and jumped from 4.4.x to 5.0 to 5.1 to 6.0 and I'm not sure why you haven't been impressed with the developments starting with 5?

FWIW I'm a big Google fan as well, sticking to Nexus phones for the most part.

So, this is my first Nexus as well. When I first got it covered I ran stock 6.0.1 for a little while, but I was rooted with TWRP recovery. Then I went with PN. When the developer preview 3 was released for Android N came out I decided to go back to stock and then signed up for the Beta program. I got my OTA and am now on DP4. I haven't flashed recovery or rooted. I'm actually really loving this stock experience on N. I do miss having root, but think that I'll stick with this for a bit (at least until N is officially released).

I didn't notice until you mentioned it that Google camera isn't in the Play Store.

Im using Paranoid Android with their stock kernel, super smooth over the original rom the phone came with.

Ive not bothered with custom roms since the galaxy s4 days, good to be back in fold

Back
Top Bottom