• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First impressions......

Well I got mine a few hours ago and have not been able to put it down for one second... except for driving home from work (Illinois anti-texting while driving laws)...

First impressions...

-Feel is great. Feels very solid, a lot better than my iphone.. Feels a lot thinner too.

-Screen is ridiculous. At first I was like eh its ok, then I looked at my iphone again and then i could REALLY see the difference.

-Since i'm new to Android, I like the customization and widgets and the freedom to customize pretty much anything. The pull down notification menu is sweet too.

So far i've been downloading apps and playing around with settings...

One negative is that Android seems choppy compared to the iphone OS. When transitioning homescreens and such, its not as 'fluid' as the iphone was. Anyone else notice this?

Overall i'm very impressed so far.

Upvote 0
Well I got mine a few hours ago and have not been able to put it down for one second... except for driving home from work (Illinois anti-texting while driving laws)...

First impressions...

-Feel is great. Feels very solid, a lot better than my iphone.. Feels a lot thinner too.

-Screen is ridiculous. At first I was like eh its ok, then I looked at my iphone again and then i could REALLY see the difference.

-Since i'm new to Android, I like the customization and widgets and the freedom to customize pretty much anything. The pull down notification menu is sweet too.

One negative is that Android seems choppy compared to the iphone OS. When transitioning homescreens and such, its not as 'fluid' as the iphone was. Anyone else notice this?

i've heard some people say they weren't charged tax, and some were. looks like it depends on where you live. since i'm from IL too, did you get charged tax?

Upvote 0
Number 1: I hate you as i have yet to receive mine

Number 2: Congrats on getting yours!!!!

Question.... when you go to the market are all of your apps from your g1 there in the downloaded menu or do you have to search for them again?

If you install "B&B Quick Uninstaller" from the market you should be able to back up your applications into your sd card.
Then use the same SD card on the Nexus, download B&B again, reinstall your back up.... change sd card and you are good.

Upvote 0
And everyone thought I had the bootleg version haha...I'm telling you I couldn't find this either....and none of the apps will change it.
lol Im so confused at this point. Im waiting for the damn trackball to change color. There are no notification leds and different colors are a major point to me I may be out of luck :thinking:

First impressions...

Yeh still choppy. Hard to describe unless you compare.
Its something unique to apple. There OS always have gorgeous transitions that far more powerful machines and later Win OS cant seem to match. Even 3rd party GUI progs liek windows blinds etc.

Has to be something in all there kernels that handles drawing in a different way than everyone else.

Upvote 0
So is there no notification LED on the Nexus One like the one the droid has? Is the trackball the only thing that flashes for notifications for emails, text messages, etc?

there is still notifications leds on the top I think... confirmation anyone?

Trackballs acts as notification. There is an LED on the face.

Can someone please answer this question about Google Voice SMS? Thanks in advance!

Intervals.

Upvote 0
Its something unique to apple. There OS always have gorgeous transitions that far more powerful machines and later Win OS cant seem to match.

That's the apple magic for you. It's disapointing to hear android is still choppy on the N1. Has anyone gone from HTC Hero to N1? I'd be interested to know how they compare.

Upvote 0
That's the apple magic for you. It's disapointing to hear android is still choppy on the N1. Has anyone gone from HTC Hero to N1? I'd be interested to know how they compare.

I owned the Hero, and returned it because it was so slow and choppy compared to my iPhone. The Nexus is NOT choppy, yet the way Android chooses to display the items are a lot different. For one example, the 3D scrolling of the apps into the top of the screen: If you slightly move an app up and then let go, it will jump either to the next row of apps or stay on the same row of apps depending on how far you moved it. I feel most users are feeling that this is what is being seen as choppy and such I suppose when really it isn't laggy...I don't have any lag moving from one screen to another... This phone is way better than the hero

Upvote 0
Wow. It's taken me just a few hours to learn how to use the android platform whereas it took me about three days to get the s60 platform to do what I wanted! I'm so glad I made the switch. Even switching from a hard keyboard to soft keyboard hasnt that much of adjustment.

Now I only hope that we could get multitouch on this thing.

Upvote 0
I'm coming from an iPhone 3G and the N1 absolutely screams. I'm not sure what you're noticing about the scrolling but it seems more fluid than the 3g to me. Switching/starting apps is close to instantaneous, installing new apps in the Market is so much better than the App Store.

My high expectations have been exceeded so far. I can't recommend the N1 enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones