• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fitbit Ionic review says its a good fitness tracker, passable smartwatch

Engadget has published its review of the Fitbit Ionic and gives the smartwatch a score of 79 out of 100. Pros include a bright display and long battery life, while cons include finicky software and limited selection of third-party apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, this looks interesting to me. It doesn't run Android Wear but you can get it to communicate with a phone app.
Could be a replacement for my ageing Garmin 610. I Like the wrist based HRM, and apparently blood oxygen monitor.
Anyone got one of these?

I have read many reviews of the Fitbit Ionic. basically no reviewer likes it as a smartwatch (very few 3rd party apps and concerns any more will be coming). As a fitness tracker it seems pretty good, as all fitbit bands, and battery life is excellent. But its no real smartwatch

So if you want a fitness tracker with the look of a watch, then get the ionic. I want a smartwatch and would love something similar to the Apple Watch but running Android (I have an Android phone)...was awaiting for the ionic to be that, but it seems it is not! :(:(:(

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I have read many reviews of the Fitbit Ionic. basically no reviewer likes it as a smartwatch (very few 3rd party apps and concerns any more will be coming). As a fitness tracker it seems pretty good, as all fitbit bands, and battery life is excellent. But its no real smartwatch

So if you want a fitness tracker with the look of a watch, then get the ionic. I want a smartwatch and would love something similar to the Apple Watch but running Android (I have an Android phone)...was awaiting for the ionic to be that, but it seems it is not! :(:(:(

Maybe it's got potential for future development? I'm not that bothered about it being a poor smartwatch, my primary requirement is for a good fitness tracker. It'll need at least all the features I use on my Garmin before I even consider it.
But let's see if Fitbit have any commitment to it. I guess ultimately it will all depend on how well it sells.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones