• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free VPN for Nexus Devices

I wish they'd enable this for networks that are not 'open' - example, when staying at a hotel (or even at somebody's house), and using their WiFi, which is technically password protected - but we don't fully trust that network :)

A step in the right direction regardless.

Yes, and I guess the Capitol of Nebraska is to rural for Fi coverage. Oh well. You win some.....
I had that issue in Nebraska too, however, I did a hard re-start and it re-searched and connected to Tmo LTE. Then I got dialer codes. You need to get a switcher or the codes for the networks so you can make SURE you are not getting signal, ya know when it makes no sense to not have service.
I can PM the dialer codes if you need them. (I'd post them just not sure on the rules surrounding that.)

When I look at the coverage map on my laptop, I get this:
Capture77.PNG

When I go to create an account I get this:
Capture78.PNG

I'm getting mixed signals:D

Last edited:
I tend to use my private VPN over this but I've noticed this when I connected to pubic wifi a week ago. It's good protective measure if you don't have a VPN.

I tend to use my private VPN over this but I've noticed this when I connected to pubic wifi a week ago. It's good protective measure if you don't have a VPN.
If you don't mind me asking - what VPN do you use? (do you run it on your home LAN? or do you use something like AWS?). I'm hoping to avoid rooting my next phone, and so, trying to look at options. Netguard seems like one I can use, but if I can get a true VPN service, that'd be better.

I wish they'd enable this for networks that are not 'open' - example, when staying at a hotel (or even at somebody's house), and using their WiFi, which is technically password protected - but we don't fully trust that network :)

A step in the right direction regardless.

I could be wrong but I found this in Settings>More>VPN then tap the cog wheel.

Screenshot_20161031-043806.png Screenshot_20161031-043819.png Screenshot_20161031-043213.png Screenshot_20161031-043750.png

Last edited:
:)
Fixed it.
Interesting. Never saw that. I tried it now - thinking that it would force the VPN to always be on (regardless of which WiFi network I was connected to), but it didn't do that (at least not immediately). Guess it works differently :)

Edit: fixed typo - say => saw

Last edited:
Interesting. Never say that. I tried it now - thinking that it would force the VPN to always be on (regardless of which WiFi network I was connected to), but it didn't do that (at least not immediately). Guess it works differently :)

When I upgraded to 7.0 the wifi assistant app suddenly showed in Playstore as needing to be updated. I did a what's my IP check on my home network and it was way off.
I'm somewhat of a noob at online security though.

Edit: What's the best way to check if a VPN is working?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom