• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337, AT&T) running Android 5.0.1

Carlsbad1

Lurker
Jan 2, 2018
Hello,
I have a Galaxy S4 (SGH-I337, AT&T) running Android 5.0.1 that I successfully rooted yesterday. I ran Root Checker to confirm. The phone worked fine. I then started deleting bloatware to free space. I rebooted 2-3 times during the day as I was deleting programs. Finally I deleting the wrong program/file.
Now the phone starts and goes to the page where I would normally need to enter my data encryption password, but, no keyboard exists. The phone seems fine, I could make an emergency phone call as it stands, but the lack of a keyboard to enter the password is a game stopper.
I am computer literate but not so on my phone. Am I stuck? Is there a solution?
Thank you in advance.
Mark
P.S. P.S. I have a backup using Titanium Backup. If I could get past the password screen, I could theoretically restore the deleted program/file.

Last edited:
Not sure if you can use a physical keyboard with a micro USB adapter but worth a try.
Only other thing I can think of would be to flash back to stock and start over.
You don't really gain much by deleting bloat because all pre-installed apps that you can't normally delete are in the system partition and you won't gain any space in the userdata partition.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you can use a physical keyboard with a micro USB adapter but worth a try.
You don't really gain much by deleting bloat because all pre-installed apps that you can't normally delete are in the system partition and you won't gain any space in the userdata partition.

Upvote 0
That's a creative idea... Mine is bluetooth :) -- I tried but bluetooth must be off on the phone. But I should be able to find one to connect direct.
I need to read up on how to flash back to the original. I was hoping there was a way to by-pass the data encryption and access the phone, do a restore of my backup taken after the root and before the program/file deletions.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
The problem that you can't enter your password is all related to the keyboard..but there's a way..first reboot your phone, immediately go straight to SETTINGS then you go to LANGUAGE AND INPUT then inside there you go to DEFAULT, then you choose the alternative keyboard on the system..the android always come with two of them at least..sometimes three(this will work in the event you didn't delete all of them)..

Let me know.

Upvote 0
The problem that you can't enter your password is all related to the keyboard..but there's a way..first reboot your phone, immediately go straight to SETTINGS then you go to LANGUAGE AND INPUT then inside there you go to DEFAULT, then you choose the alternative keyboard on the system..the android always come with two of them at least..sometimes three(this will work in the event you didn't delete all of them)..

Let me know.
The problem is that before I can access "Settings" or anything else, I need to enter my encryption password. If you know of a way to reboot my phone and immediately go to SETTINGS, please let me know.
Thank you, Mark

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
The external keyboard worked! Great idea. Thank you

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Three things started this project. One was that my phone memory was nearly full and a constant problem. I have a large internal SD card and moved apps there but my device memory was always nearly full. My assumption was that removing ATT bloatware would help. Now Jfalls tells me I won't help. I am PC technical but haven't wrapped my head around Android. I need to do some reading to understand where this data resides and what can be deleted.
The second reason was to use Greenify to hibernate apps to let my battery last longer.
Lastly was to use Titanium to backup the phone.
Is there something cool/useful I can now do with my S4 now that it is rooted?
Thank you both!
Mark

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones