• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge Audio Quality Discussion

Uber-Duper

So, there have been rumors that Samsung have fitted the S7 / S7 Edge with their new audio chip, the Lucky CS47L91.

The S6 failed dismally in the audio department, disappointing many galaxy fans worldwide.

As many of us use our phones as our primary media device, quality sound reproduction is as important as a good screen and battery life. This is something that was neglected in the S6, with later attempts to improve the sound quality being woeful at best.

Please comment below regarding any info on the S7 / S7 Edge audio quality.

Hi there,

Haha my avatar image is a Hello Kitty gas mask :D

I'm interested to know whether the audio out of the S7 from quality headphones is natural sounding, balanced, dynamic and has a wide sound stage.

Audio from the S6 can be described as listening to music that is playing in the next room from a narrow doorway.

Deciding whether to get an S7 or the Meizu Pro 5, which has excellent audio reproduction and is half the price..

Looking forward to seeing what the general consensus is.

Comparing with my Note 4 it seemed to sound better but it wasn't quite as loud on Poweramp (the Alpha build they are testing). Player Pro seems to be the same volume or a tad louder with the EQ engaged (PP dropped in volume when the EQ was engaged on Note 4, not so with this).

I like music loud so this is an issue. There is also a huge ramp up from one click from max to max. Max is too loud but one click down not quite loud enough.

Just got it so I'll update accordingly.

Edit: Listening some more it does seem to sound better. Less distorted, smoother. Still not quite as loud. At full blast its loud enough but I don't like having to turn it up full blast, I like a little "room to grow"

Last edited:
Update: the more I use it the more I wish it were louder but I am impressed with the sound. I think its an improvement from my Note 4 (aside from not as much volume).

I grabbed a pair of DT Symphony One cans, BT performance is close to flawless and they sound great. Again could be a bit louder but over BT I'm not sure how much the S7 Edge has to do with it. All my music is off my Note 4 so I can't compare.

Galaxy S7 comes with A Snapdragon 820 processor and a 4 GB RAM while Galaxy S6 houses an Exynos 7420 processor and a 3GB RAM. There is no doubt that S7 is faster than S6 with the stronger processor and RAM.

I'll be able to give a loudness review next week as I'll be on a mower for hours. I use jaybird Bluetooth headphones which block out exterior sounds pretty well but I still need plenty of volume while on the mower. My previous phone was the S5 which did pretty well but I wouldn't mind a tad more volume.

Can anybody compare the S7 edge to the S5?

I so far think the sound is a bit soft. I hae a GS6e and Note4. I didn't compare it to the GS6 yet, but vs. my Note 4, it doesn't seem as loud as the Note 4. When I am using PowerAmp, the audio level seems significantly softer than when I use the Samsung Music app. So I so far concur with what others have said, it does seem a bit on the soft side.

Compared to my Note 3, the sound is softer. However the S7 has the built in EQ where I can mold the music to how I want it. My Note 3 did not have that.

So overall I like the S7 sound better.

I'll be able to give a loudness review next week as I'll be on a mower for hours. I use jaybird Bluetooth headphones which block out exterior sounds pretty well but I still need plenty of volume while on the mower. My previous phone was the S5 which did pretty well but I wouldn't mind a tad more volume.

I think S7 must be more wonderful than S5, so less persons compare them. But actually, lots of web pose the comparison of iPhone 6s and Galaxy S7. I have checked it on that called AndroidRecovery, if you like, check some mobile comparison there, but I don't know whether it helps.

I was gonna give my review but I just noticed that the phone has a custom EQ. I'll have to update later after I play around with the EQ settings.

For now, here are my thoughts on "out of the box" settings. I mentioned earlier that I listen to music while I'm on a mower. That consists of about 50% of my listening. The other half is through a Bluetooth speaker on the golf course.

While mowing, I use Jaybird Bluebuds X Bluetooth ear buds. It's hard to tell if the quality is better than my old S5 because I'm listening to mp3's. If I had to guess though, I would say the S7 edge sounds slightly better. Keep in mind though, that a mower is on in the background so it's hard to tell about quality.

As far as the volume goes, I'm pretty sure the S7 edge is louder than the S5. Not significantly louder but I'd say about 10-15% louder. There were times with the S5 that I couldn't hear the words clearly when I lost seal with my ear buds. I can still make out the lyrics when I lose seal with the S7.

I can't judge volume level with the Bluetooth speaker because I'm on the golf course when I listen to it. My speaker gets pretty loud and I don't want to crank it up and disturb the other golfers.

For now, that's my take on the sound of the S7 edge compared to the S5.

I've now compared audio from the speaker on my GS7 edge vs my iPhone 6... The audio on the iPhone 6 from the speaker is significantly better IMHO. Not only is it louder, but there is actually better low-midrange audio. That being said, the iPhone 6 isn't waterproof so....

However, I do prefer the GS7 edge over the headphones... It might be because of PowerAmp since it's also better than any other audio player that I've tried on the GS7e I think. Even though PowerAmp audio is lower, I think the sound is awesome and the EQ works better than the Sound Alive EQ.

S5 has better low end. Bit louder. But the s7 edge(exynos processor) is clearer.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but DVC on PowerAmp makes the sound on the S7 a lot softer (up to the red with it enabled is around a 4 disabled) so if you're having volume problems and you don't mind losing DVC just disable it and it should be a lot louder.

I'm using the Exynos variant imported from the UAE.

You guys have not even tried turning off Adapt feature with Poweramp. Turn it off and enable DVC, and your volume should be really loud. Issue between Adapt and DVC. Plus, you don't both enabled anyways. This is my Snapdragon one. Also, noticed the low volume but if you do what I said, it will be a lot better.

I am currently volume 47% and it is loud as I can get without hurting my ears. Using Skullycandy wired Smokin buds 2. Also, have SOX resampling on. UHQ upscaler on. Hi Resolution for it on. Otherwise, it is loud if you do this. Upscaling my mp3 v2 vbr 190 to 24/192. Sounds awesome to me.

I read all over the internet people complaining about it not sounding as good as other phones. It is the best sounding phone I ever heard so far.

Back
Top Bottom