• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Tab 8 (SM-T310)

korky48

Lurker
I received a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (SM-T310) as a retirement gift last week and it had android jelly bean installed. the tab comes with GPS and on the weekend it automatically upgraded to KitKat 4.4.2 as it was set to automatic update. I then lost the GPS from the drop down menu. so GPS has disappeared from the tab. I contacted Samsung help line here in the UK and they could not give me a reason or a fix and suggested I reverse the update back to JJ. any idea why this happened and is there a fix?

I believe it's to do with KitKat 4.4.2. The GPS icon is no longer used. Click on settings, location. Select this to on, then underneath click mode. High accuracy uses the GPS (when required by an app) or battery saving will get your location from mobile and wifi networks.

He is right, gps is no longer just on or off (there are 3 modes) to detect location (new fancy icon for gps) high accuracy uses gps plus wifi to give a more accurate location, battery saving uses wifi only (thus not turning on gps antenna to save battery), and gps only is exactly that(just pure gps) to detect your location. Now when you turn location on its just basically 3 different modes or ways if you will to detect your location as opposed to before when it was just gps on or off.

thanks for your tips. I have tried to do the above and set it to GPS only and turned off WIFI. I then opened Google maps and it shows my location OK however when I opened navigation it will not work. I went outside and checked signal with my SATNAV and no problem. I went further away from my house and it showed my location spot on but no navigation. There appears to be a GPS logo on the top left hand corner but when I open this it states no connection.:mad:

It needs wifi initially to get the navigation directions (it downloads and caches them) after the intial start of the navigation it no longer needs wifi to work as it just uses gps alone to detect location and the cached (stored) data that was downloaded originally to give you turn by turn directions.

Back
Top Bottom