• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GamePad for Nexus Player for $39.99 in Play Store.

But what games need a second controller?
Emulators? Don't you wanna play Perfect Dark in dual-controller mode like a baws? xD

I'll be interested to see how they connect. If they support Bluetooth or USB HID I'll probably pick one up for my nexus 7/9/10. If not and they connect through WiFi direct I might try my hand at making a userspace driver for them :D

Upvote 0
You connect Gamepads through the Nexus Player's setup screen. After choosing Add Device, you press the power button on the Gamepad and the connection is made using Bluetooth. I only have one controller but there are four blue LEDs on it. When I turn it on, only the first one lights. Last night I played Badland (cooler spin on Flappy Bird and uses the regular remote), Riptide GP2 (also used the remote and costs $1.99), and Beach Buggy Racing (free and works great with the Gamepad- I really like this game).

Gamepads are back in stock in the Play store and I am considering buying one or two more. Anyone found a lower price?

Upvote 0
So, can we use this game pad with our nexus 7 to play other games?

Interesting idea. While shopping around for a lower price on the Gamepad I did see similar controllers for use with Android tablets and phones.

This one for $29.99 has mostly good reviews and people reporting it working well with Google TV. The write-up makes the Bluetooth connection process sound similar to what I experienced with the ASUS Gamepad on my Nexus Player. I am starting to believe your idea may work and it may be possible to use other controllers with the Nexus Player. Anyone? Bueller?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones