• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gear 360 Shut down during recording

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    I record the veterans' events in our community with the Gear 360 and post them to YouTube for the benefit of those who could not attend... and as a reference for those who could.

At the end of March, I recorded an entire event with no problem - this stupid camera only records in segments 8-10 minutes long, and the videos then have to be combined using editing software. But at least it captured the whole thing.

Today was Memorial Day, and it was important to me that I record the event. The battery was fully charged: my phone was nearby to assure connectivity; and the 200GB microSD card had over 150GB free on it. It was a very emotional event... people were sniffling and wiping their eyes. So I REALLY wanted this ceremony posted for others!

I got home and discovered that it had recorded two 8-minute segments and a 5-minute segment, a grand total of less than half of the ceremony, and then shut itself down. It powered off, all by itself. The ceremony was nothing but a memory in the minds of those in attendance.

I immediately logged in to the Samsung website and filed a claim for service. It was in-warranty, so away it goes tomorrow... and they can issue me a replacement. I really need to know, however, what caused the failure - so I can make sure it doesn't happen again in the future.

Well, I received my Gear 360 back from Samsung. They say it was a "low battery issue". I will give them the benefit of the doubt by thinking they mean that the battery failed to store sufficient energy to power the device: because I had just charged it and it indicated a full battery. I had shipped it to them in the original retail packaging to make sure it safely made the trip. I got it back today, in a small box, wrapped in bubble wrap. Nice, Samsung. Thanks guys...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones