• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Get GPS location from database

xander119

Lurker
Hi everyone,

I need some help and I hope I am in the right place.
I have a few cars for rent and I have wifi on each of them. What I want to do is to connect to a database where they send them location and get them location and eventually an ID of the car or something like that, on my android phone application.
Can you give me please some tips or provide me some useful links about how can I do this ?

Thank you very much!

Sure the usual way to do something like that, is to fit the fleet out with trackers. The trackers have a GPS, and they ping their locations to a server by cellular data. Along with other data, like speed etc. Just Google "vehicle trackers".

"I have wifi on each of them."
What exactly is that, is it a device or something? WiFi only has a range of 100M or something. And not suitable for vehicle tracking

Last edited:
Reactions: lvt
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
First, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to buy any GPS trackers, I want simply to make an application by myself.(I want to code)
Second, I don't have yet wifi on the cars, but I want to install wifi on them with lets say, vodafone sim cards.
So I suppose if I will make this, the cars will send somehow them location to a server from where I will get and display it on the map.

Thanks again for your reply, but please, help me straight with my problem if you can :p

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
First, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to buy any GPS trackers, I want simply to make an application by myself.(I want to code)
Second, I don't have yet wifi on the cars, but I want to install wifi on them with lets say, vodafone sim cards.
So I suppose if I will make this, the cars will send somehow them location to a server from where I will get and display it on the map.

Thanks again for your reply, but please, help me straight with my problem if you can :p

OK, I need to know some of your requirements. Like do you need a system that's reliable, always on 24/7 Fort the time the cars are been rented out, and quite importantly can't easily be disabled or interfered with by your rental clients. Because if it's turned off, or doesn't work, you don't know where your car is and what might of happened to it.

To track a vehicle remotely, you basically need a GPS on the car and a means for it communicate with your server or device, like Vodafone. You could use smart-phones, there's tracking apps available, or you could develop one. But good luck with any of the above items, like reliability, and it been turned off. Where would you put phones in your rental cars?

Presumably you're interested in vehicle tracking, because you want to know where your rental fleet is at any time. Many car rental companies do that. They have trackers in all their cars, same with many company fleets, like their cars, vans, trucks, buses, etc.

A company I worked for once had cars and vans with tracking. And that system could detect if anyone was speeding. And if it did detect it, the manager could call you into the office.

Last edited:
You want to code, that is great. Can i ask what is your current knowledge level, because that will determine what level of help you need.

If you're a complete beginner, then start by reading the 'read me first' post at the top of this forum. Start by getting your development environment set up.

Q&A on internet forums works best if you ask focused questions, rather than broad ones.
Feel free to come back with further questions.

Back
Top Bottom