• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting off Google and using free and open apps?

sinqbad

Nov 28, 2017
I rely on google too much right now and I'm looking to distance myself (privacy reasons mostly). But I use too many of google's services:

Maps
My Maps
Gboard
Google Japanese Input Keyboard
Google Handwriting
Google Voice Keyboard
Android Messenger
Gmail (tried using K9 but it's bad)
Calendar
Keep

Is it a pipe dream getting off google to some degree?

..Gmail (tried using K9 but it's bad)...

Just curious as to why you claim that 'it's bad'? It has a long, well-supported history and has been around going back to Android's early days. I've relied on it as my primary email app for years now and while it's user interface is somewhat bland it has a very extensive feature set buried in its Settings menus.
If it's 'bad' because you didn't like its appearance or something like that than that is of course a valid opinion but otherwise it sounds more likely that you had something inadvertently set incorrectly.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
If it's 'bad' because you didn't like its appearance or something like that than that is of course a valid opinion but otherwise it sounds more likely that you had something inadvertently set incorrectly.
Yeah, I'm a bit of a crybaby when it comes to UI. It's just not that intuitive and well good looking lol. But you're right it has well supported and has some great features (like PGP support) and would love to utilize them but I just can't get over it's UI. Tried material design K9 and it's pretty much the same.

You can, but it will be annoying to some degree. For example, if you change keyboards, the new keyboard will not predict as well as Gboard for a while, simply because it hasn't learned your typing yet but Gboard has had long to learn your patterns.
My main problem with keyboard right now isn't the learning it's finding a free and open source Japanese keyboard (also with kana flick).

Upvote 0
So you would need to find a volunteer dev who knows what that is and wants to code it.

I've done a bit of programming before in c++ (didn't fully get around pointers) and java. Nothing too advanced just some first year electives I took. I also have access to lynda from my uni. I'm currently on break until Feb next year, do you reckon something like contributing to anysoftkeyboard is something that realistic?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones