• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting saved SMS onto new V20

I saved my SMS to the SD card when I was transferring from the old phone (GS5). I am now having trouble finding the old messages n the SD card and getting them into the new phone. The old phone has already been reset and shipped back to VZ, so I can't do any back up on it now. Any advice?

might be a function of what app you used for sms messages. IE can you point to the file(s) used for the back up - and you can see them using any other file explorer application?

If so you might have to move it off SD card to the interanal memory for the LG app to find them - let alone possiblity of exporting them.

It was just the factory installed messaging app. I'll plug the phone into the computer and have a look around to see what I can find and do. Thank you.

any luck - my only concern is that the samsung messages app you used might not save the file in a normal/useable format

I reviewed every file on my SD card and cannot find anything remotely resembling a .txt file or XML file. I think I may have just messed up the export and lost the SMSs. Nothing I can't live without, but I would have like to have then for future reference for work if I needed.

More than likely the only way you'll be able to get them back is to use the same Samsung phone you used to have. By placing the sd card in it than restoring the sms. Than do a nfc transfer to your new phone.

I was thinking you might have to take the samsung phone - have that app - EXPORT the messages off and then use that on on the LG phone and import them in - if that's even an option.

I just know the samsung notes app - doesn't use a standard format file but it does export out as PDF

I believ the OP said he has already reset the phone and shipped it out, so I don't think he has it in his possession any more.

I believ the OP said he has already reset the phone and shipped it out, so I don't think he has it in his possession any more.
yeah good point - missed that completly.

well OP - if oyu find any files on your memory card that are suspect - there might be some reader/interpreter for them that might uncover your SMS stuff.

He doesn't need the original phone to get them back. He only needs to borrow someone's phone momentarily to find the Samsung back up on his sd card and than export the sms out.

He doesn't need the original phone to get them back. He only needs to borrow someone's phone momentarily to find the Samsung back up on his sd card and than export the sms out.

I might have to ask someone at work if I can borrow a phone and then once transferred over use a new app to back them up that the LG supports. I tried the whole NFC transfer when I was setting up the V20, but the two would not connect.

Back
Top Bottom