• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting US apps in the UK?

Pinmac1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2011
UK
I live in the UK but will be visiting the US in the summer. I'm a bit confused about the UK v US Google Play set-up. There are apps I would like to download which I can't as they are not available in the UK Play store.

So 2 questions - is there a way to download US-only apps while in the UK? Also, when I go to the US will it detect that I am there and allow me to access the US Play store or will I still be restricted to the UK as it's a UK phone?

Thanks for any help.

I live in the UK but will be visiting the US in the summer. I'm a bit confused about the UK v US Google Play set-up. There are apps I would like to download which I can't as they are not available in the UK Play store.

So 2 questions - is there a way to download US-only apps while in the UK? Also, when I go to the US will it detect that I am there and allow me to access the US Play store or will I still be restricted to the UK as it's a UK phone?

Thanks for any help.

You get the Play Store for the country you're in. Play geo-locates you on WiFi and cellular information AFAIK. So if you're in the US you'll get the US Play Store, even though you have UK phone. Something to be aware of, if you buy any US only content while in the States, e.g. apps, books, movies you'll lose access to them upon returning to the UK. Same with any international travelling, you lose access to any geo-restricted content.

I have a UK credit card but there's no way I can access any UK only apps etc. while I'm in China.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You get the Play Store for the country you're in. Play geo-locates you on WiFi and cellular information AFAIK. So if you're in the US you'll get the US Play Store, even though you have UK phone. Something to be aware of, if you buy any US only content while in the States, e.g. apps, books, movies you'll lose access to them upon returning to the UK. Same with any international travelling, you lose access to any geo-restricted content.

I have a UK credit card but there's no way I can access any UK only apps etc. while I'm in China.

Doesn't work for me that way. I'm struggling to get banking app in UK while I got polish phone and polish google play store app and it doesn't work... I've added UK card to google wallet but it haven't changed the app country restrictions. Maybe I have to somehow turn on this geo location ?

Upvote 0
Doesn't work for me that way. I'm struggling to get banking app in UK while I got polish phone and polish google play store app and it doesn't work... I've added UK card to google wallet but it haven't changed the app country restrictions. Maybe I have to somehow turn on this geo location ?

Looks like it doesn't always work. Play seems to do what it feels like. I was in Hong Kong for two weeks, ended up with the HK Play store, I'm now in London, been here 3 days, and my phone is still showing the HK Play store. Which means most books are in Chinese, and there's no TV shows or music.

Upvote 0
Best thing you can do is find a friendly trustworthy American with a rooted phone to download any (free) apps you want then upload them to Dropbox or whatever for you to download :thumbup:

Assuming the "trustworthy American" is actually in the USA, and not in downtown Beijing or whatever, crying that they can't do Facebook and that their Google Play music is unavailable . ;)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones