• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail 5.0 help?

androidlover9

Android Enthusiast
Hello, I recently recieved the new Gmail update, I tried connecting my email to it which is an outlook, but everytime I try it doesn't work! it just says "Couldn't open connection to server."

Could it be because my email ends with "bell.net" instead of "outlook.com"?

Any help at all would be appreciated :)

Also, my Gmail account works fine, it's just my outlook that won't connect...

Since your email has that bell.net address, that's what you should try using to set up your account so it works with the new Gmail 5.0 app. If you go into the Gmail 5.0 Settings, select 'Add Account', and select 'Personal (IMAP/POP)' it should walk you through the process of adding another mail account but if you need to manually enter the bell.net settings refer to the following from bell's site:

How to use Bell Mail : Using Bell Mail with an email program

I think part of the confusion is you might be using the Outlook application on a computer to access your bell.net mail, yes? If so it's just a Microsoft-messing-with-our-heads kind of thing. For years Outlook has been Microsoft's flagship email/contacts/calendar application, that was only available for Windows or OS X computers. In 2013 Microsoft again re-branded their online email service (every few years it gets changed, using various combinations of names -- hotmail, msn mail, windows live, currently outlook) So there actually are some distinctions to make note of. There's 'Outlook' the computer application, the 'outlook' app for iOS and Android, and 'outlook.com' the online webmail site/service.

Since your email has that bell.net address, that's what you should try using to set up your account so it works with the new Gmail 5.0 app. If you go into the Gmail 5.0 Settings, select 'Add Account', and select 'Personal (IMAP/POP)' it should walk you through the process of adding another mail account but if you need to manually enter the bell.net settings refer to the following from bell's site:

How to use Bell Mail : Using Bell Mail with an email program

I think part of the confusion is you might be using the Outlook application on a computer to access your bell.net mail, yes? If so it's just a Microsoft-messing-with-our-heads kind of thing. For years Outlook has been Microsoft's flagship email/contacts/calendar application, that was only available for Windows or OS X computers. In 2013 Microsoft again re-branded their online email service (every few years it gets changed, using various combinations of names -- hotmail, msn mail, windows live, currently outlook) So there actually are some distinctions to make note of. There's 'Outlook' the computer application, the 'outlook' app for iOS and Android, and 'outlook.com' the online webmail site/service.

Yeah I remember back when MSN and Hotmail were a thing...

I use both outlook, the webmail site, and the mobile android app, it's just I would like it if I didn't have to use two different emails to suit my needs.

I tried all those steps in the app, but idk what's wrong, I'll check the link you gave later today

Back
Top Bottom