• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail app -where is ARCHVIE?

hybucket

Gmail app -where is ARCHIVE?

Is there a way to "archive" mail out of the inbox? When I go to folders, in iPHone, there was a label called ALL MAIL where you could put it. The ALL MAIL folder appears when you go to Manage Labels, but it does not appear when you want to move it. If you trash it, it goes to trash (duh), but there must be a way to save it without just leaving it in the inbox. I have it connected via IMAP, BTW, so it will sync with my computer.
Also, how do I set one of my Gmail accounts as default?
Thanks in advance....​

Edit.. Confused

I just created a label in Gmail on my computer (set up as IMAP) using web browser. I then ticked an email on the Gmail app, hit the label button and the label appears...

Edit.,. Confused

I just created a label in Gmail on my computer (set up as IMAP) using web browser. I then ticked an email on the Gmail app, hit the label button and the label appears...

If I have an email in inbox (on the S3), I check the box, it is highlighted, I go to the bottom of the screen where the "label" icon is, click on it, and several labels pop up, with a check mark next to inbox, but neither ALL MAIL nor a few others appear. Or am I clicking on the wrong thing? I can't find anything else that would bring up other labels. I could "STAR" it, but that's not really what I want to do (and it would also remain in the inbox). If I open the email and go to the LABELS icon, it still does not show ALL MAIL.
UPDATE: Not sure if this is how it's SUPPOSED to be done, but....if I remove the INBOX label from the mail, it disappears from the inbox, and magically goes to ALL MAIL, and at the bottom of the screen reads "1 archived." Only took me four hours to figure that out! I'm sure there must be a tutorial somewhere...I went onto the Google Help site, and there was no reference to this at all. Maybe I'm just a little too picky. But thanks for your reply. If not for it, I would have just given up altogether (still love the S3 tho...).

"All mail" is not a label. It is just that, all mail..

This is not an archive. Actually, if you log onto www.gmail.com and go to all mail, you will see mail in there and the labels assigned to it. So if I go into all mail, I can see "Inbox", "Call log", "SMS" labelled items. Its a way of looking at mail WITHOUT having to go into each label.

All the email in "Inbox" is also and always in "All mail". All email is always in "All mail" unless deleted.

In the gmail app, if you select the email with the Tick box and click the filing cabinet icon (Bottom left), it will archive the email. All this means is it is removed from the inbox label. Of course, it still remains in "All mail".

You cannot Select the email with a tick box and press Labels icon to select all mail. It is not really a label (And all email is already and always there anyway).

However, without selecting an email with the tick box and press labels icon, you can here filter by "All mail". If you have archived an email using the filing cabinet icon, this is the way you would locate the email.

Hope this makes sense.

In summary, whatever label the email has ("Inbox", "Folder x", "Folder y"), it will also be in "All mail". All mail shows all emails, whether the email has a label or not. Archiving an email does not move it to "all mail"

Back
Top Bottom