• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail & Calendar keep crashing

UncleMike

Android Expert
Nov 15, 2009
Central NJ
For the past week (starting Monday, 04 May) Gmail and Calendar have started crashing upon opening at some point during the day, and then crash on every attempt to open them until I power cycle the phone. Then they're fine until some time the next day. I've tried clearing the cache for both apps, which seems to have no effect. I've even wiped the cache in (stock) recovery twice, but it hasn't helped any more than just power cycling the phone.

I'm using a 2013 Moto X, running Android 4.4.4 (stock, not rooted), and I've reviewed all the apps I've updated since just prior to the problem starting, and don't see how any of them would be causing a problem, and other Google apps seem to work fine.

Any suggestions, short of a factory reset?

Well, I haven't had any crashes of Gmail or Calendar in over 48 hours, and the only apps I've updated since the last crash are AutoVoice and Relay for Reddit. But AutoVoice was also updated more closely to the start of the issue too, so that's my prime suspect.

That's the best I can do for bringing this to a conclusion. [emoji3]

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones