• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good free vpn for the android

Lighthouse VPN easily the best VPN ive used so far on the play store
I have been using this particular VPN for several months now. Hands down, it is the BEST free VPN out there! The interface makes it easy to use and considering how Samsung screwed up the S22 Ultra's VPN capabilities (can no longer use PPTP), it is a viable alternative! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm loving it and the support!

Hi. I would suggest you not go for the free VPN because it may seem fascinating at first but it has a lot of risks. Your data can be misused and you won't be able to be held anyone accountable for that. Try using a paid VPN instead like PureVPN they do not charge much and there are also Black Friday deals going on. So you can grab one as it is the best time to have it.

I have been using this particular VPN for several months now. Hands down, it is the BEST free VPN out there! The interface makes it easy to use and considering how Samsung screwed up the S22 Ultra's VPN capabilities (can no longer use PPTP), it is a viable alternative! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm loving it and the support!
I am also experiencing a similar strange situation on my new Android phone.
There are only these three options in the 'Settings - VPN - Type' of my Android 13 phone. Check the screenshot as below, please.

VPN_Type_on_new Android.png

But the type of VPN service I got is 'L2TP/IPSec PSK'. So, which one should I choose in my setting options?
The service provider provides L2TP while my new phone doesn't support L2TP. o_O

But the type of VPN service I got is 'L2TP/IPSec PSK'. So, which one should I choose in my setting options?
The service provider provides L2TP while my new phone doesn't support L2TP. o_O
We are in the same boat, and it appears this has not been resolved. I made the suggestion to Samsung on one of their surveys to support L2TP, but nothing thus far. I'm now using another FREE VPN called "Planet VPN". I'm thinking about Nord VPN as suggested by a friend who is a network administrator. He also suggested Express VPN.

I originally was using my home VPN that came with my router (ASUS) but as we described, it is L2TP and not supported by the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.

We are in the same boat, and it appears this has not been resolved. I made the suggestion to Samsung on one of their surveys to support L2TP, but nothing thus far. I'm now using another FREE VPN called "Planet VPN". I'm thinking about Nord VPN as suggested by a friend who is a network administrator. He also suggested Express VPN.

I originally was using my home VPN that came with my router (ASUS) but as we described, it is L2TP and not supported by the Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra.
Yes. The VPN I used also came with a router and it is L2TP.

By contrast, my phone is not a Samsung device. So, is it by design that a new Android phone( or new Android system software ) no longer supports L2TP as VPN type?

By contrast, my phone is not a Samsung device. So, is it by design that a new Android phone( or new Android system software ) no longer supports L2TP as VPN type?

https://support.google.com/android/thread/196228681?hl=en

It appears that Android 13 was the L2TP Killer Even with a consumer uproar, I doubt that Samsung will bring it back. From what I have read, L2TP is no longer as secure as the other protocols. I do recall that when using mine via my router, I'd always get my actual IP address when I typed in "whatismyip". Even with the free ones, it is protected, so maybe they are right. In the mean time, I'll "carefully" stick with the good free ones until I get around to getting a paid one. Good Luck.

Yes. The VPN I used also came with a router and it is L2TP.

I was in a chat WITH Samsung last night. Although you don't have a Samsung, I'd encourage you (and everyone else) to provide feedback to your cell phone company and get it in their radar that L2TP is missing. This is what their support folks said :

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230125_082122_Messages.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230125_082122_Messages.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 64
I was in a chat WITH Samsung last night. Although you don't have a Samsung, I'd encourage you (and everyone else) to provide feedback to your cell phone company and get it in their radar that L2TP is missing. This is what their support folks said :
Okay. The addition will get on next coming updates? We hope so.:D

Back
Top Bottom