• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google app backup with multiple devices

Italo

Android Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2010
Atlanta
I have a Nexus 7 running stock 4.2 and a Captivate that I just (minutes ago) flashed CM10 (4.2) on. As soon as I signed into my Google account on the newly flashed phone, it copied all of the apps on my tablet to the phone, as well as changed the wallpaper to match the tablet.

I did check the box to backup apps and data during setup on both devices. I didn't realize they meant it would sync apps on all of my devices. I want both the phone and tablet tied to my Google account for Google services (gmail, calendar, browser, etc.), but don't want the exact same apps and wallpaper on each device.

Is it possible to have both devices backed up to Google, but keep apps separate per device? Am I better off just turning off the backup option on the phone? I want to reinstall my apps/data from my last Titanium backup to my phone, but don't want them to install on my tablet as a result. I wish Google would make this backup feature a little less mysterious and let users be more selective about what's being backed up.

well i at one time had to factory reset my tablet and i did check that option to restore with google and it did not restore what was on my phone and vice versa. i flash roms like crazy on my phone and i always restore with google and never had that issue.....it is just odd. maybe try and do a nandroid backup and flash another rom and see if it does the same thing.....it could just be a fluke.

Upvote 0
it must be some new feature in google. i was given a zoom for christmas and after i did a fdr it booted up and loaded all the apps from my phone (bionic) which i found wierd simply because i also have an acer a100 tablet. not sure why if it was going to download apps from another device it chose the phone and not the tablet to copy. i kinda liked this new feature as it saved me from starting from scratch and relooking up and downloading the apps that i use the most. and as a point of info, apps that i have uninstalled from the tablet did not uninstall from the phone and also apps that i have since installed on the tablet did not auto install on the phone. it's just a one time deal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones