• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Camera app/update discussion [Update 5/28]

As expected, old features are returning

You can now take pictures while recording video again

I just realized that there was a discussion thread on the Google Camera app and should have posted this in here instead Lol!

There is a new version (v2.1.042) of the Google Camera app.
They have added back the snapshot feature while recording a video and fixed the bug where the focus ring would disappear after using the lens blur function.
So far it seems a little more stable and faster than the previous version. :thumb:

As usual the update is being released in a staged rolled out... So it's not quite yet available in the PlayStore, but the update has been mirrored on Dev-Host. Dev-Host - Google Camera 2.1.042.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

Upvote 0
And manual focus is done my putting two fingers on the screen, and rotating them (but it's pretty hard to not also zoom in/out at the same time :rolleyes:)

Unless I'm doing something wrong, the "manual focus" seems more like a way for it to force an auto focus, which should happen often enough anyway. It doesn't seem to change the focus if there hasn't been a significant change on screen either. Is it an actual feature?

Upvote 0
Android police is also reporting two new panorama features:
Google Camera Updated To v2.2 With The Return Of Timer, Auto-Cropping, And More [APK Download]
The panorama mode now has two additional entries for fisheye and a square wide angle image in addition to the vertical and horizontal options. We'll continue looking to see if anything else has been tweaked, but that's it for now.

Also note:

If you are unsure of which size to pick on first start, use the 4:3 ratio. The cropped version will max out at 6MP

Reactions: xdrc45
Upvote 0
Installed 2 days ago and yesterday when at my daughters graduation I was taking pics/videos and I noticed while videoing or before snapping the pic the images look grainy on the screen almost like it won't focus however once I preview the result after, everything is crisp. Is this normal or anyone experiencing the same? I guess not a big deal just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling while taking the shots.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones