• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google is a bunch of sneaky b******s

zoxxo

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
Issaquah, WA
So months ago when Google changed their privacy policies to share data across all of their apps, I disabled web history in Google search. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but several on-line articles suggested to so, so I did.

With the JB update comes Google Now, and guess what, Google Now turns your web history back on. I think it's sneaky on Google's part to turn this option back on without any warning (unless I missed that memo).

If you disabled web history in Google Search settings, be forewarned that Google Now in the Droid RAZR JB update will turn it back on!!!

Am I being paranoid, or do I have nothing to worry about having it enabled?

I do remember reading somewhere in the "Google now" FAQs that web history must be turned on for it to work correctly...but it is strange that it would turn it on for you when upgrading.

Edit: does say in the Google now settings that disabling web history will limit its functionality.
When I did the upgrade n was setting up the phone,it didn't automatically turn it on,but I got a pop up saying it needed to be turned on for Google now to work and gave me the option to do it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones