• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps not working without data connection

sparksd

Outside without a data connection, I open Google Maps expecting to get current location using GPS satellites as source. I also have local maps cached. I confirm with GPS Test that I have good satellite lock (10 sats, 13' accuracy). But Google Maps tells me I have no data connectivity (as expected) but also continues to show Waiting for Location. And hitting the current location button has no effect other than generating the waiting message. I also confirmed that everything is enabled in Settings -> Location access. So Maps is not getting the data from the GPS. If I open Maps with GPS turned off, Maps tells me that is the case and will take me to Settings to enable it.

I have tried with Wifi & mobile network location both enabled and disabled. I also tried clearing cache & data and installing/reinstalling updates to no avail. Also loaded and used CoPilot USA to confirm that live mapping with other apps works under same conditions.

edit: JB 4.1.2 (don't know if it worked before)

My garmin GPS was acting weird yesterday having trouble keeping up with were I was. My Google maps were working OK with my updated 4.1.2 with the large area I had stored for off line use. You may want to view some maps when online first before going off line.

My garmin GPS was acting weird yesterday having trouble keeping up with were I was. My Google maps were working OK with my updated 4.1.2 with the large area I had stored for off line use. You may want to view some maps when online first before going off line.

Did that - works great with a data connection. But soon as I turn off WiFi I no longer get location in Maps. It simply is not working in "GPS-only" mode.

The Nexus uses assisted GPS - so still needs a data connection to use location services. That's my guess.

No, with cached Google maps you can use it offline (search on "google maps offline nexus 7"). Just not working in my case. Next thing to try made be a factory reset.

Yup it prompts 'to improve location experience' when WiFi is off ... just hit the skip option and mine works just fine ... you may want to recache your maps areas.

Yup it prompts 'to improve location experience' when WiFi is off ... just hit the skip option and mine works just fine ... you may want to recache your maps areas.

Yep, did that along with clearing all cache and data and removing/reinstalling updates - all to no avail.

I just broke down did a factory reset - that fixed it. I'll guess this was a hiccup on the 4.1.2 update for me.

Hummm yeah I guess, only other thing I have seen is the apps don't shut down when you power off. My Archos43 ran its battery down while powered off because background programs didn't really shut down unless I turn them off with the task killer before I turn off the Android tablet. So maybe the map application didn't really get shut down and restart until you did a factory reset.

Back
Top Bottom