• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps won't play sound in car

Rachel120

Lurker
Apparently Google Maps on my phone is just far too polite to interrupt anyone. I don't hear the directions, I have to watch it more than I want to see where I need to turn off. However when I get out of my car, the phone tells me how to get back onto the road.

Bottom line, I think the verbal portion won't override the radio, it's allowing the music to override it. I'm not going to spend long rides listening to nothing, and I wouldn't mind an interruption of "turn right in 2 miles" from time to time. Bluetooth off would mean no way to answer calls.

So what settings do I need to change so Google Maps and SiriusXM happily share the speakers?

You need to have the radio set to the Bluetooth input to hear the navigation prompts. So if you want to stream music and have voice-guided nav at the same time, you have to stream through the phone over BT.
At one time Maps had an option to emulate a phone call when sending nav prompts and that would interrupt other radio sources. However that option seems to have been removed in the current version.

Open Maps | Goto Settings | Navigation Settings | Turn off the Toggle for "Play voice over Bluetooth.

You need to have the radio set to the Bluetooth input to hear the navigation prompts. So if you want to stream music and have voice-guided nav at the same time, you have to stream through the phone over BT.
At one time Maps had an option to emulate a phone call when sending nav prompts and that would interrupt other radio sources. However that option seems to have been removed in the current version.
What I posted above is how I do it in my truck. I can listen the SiriusXM on the radio and get nav prompts through my phone's speaker. I think it is a preferable approach than mimicing a phone signal, plus what happens if you are on a phone call?

Depending on how loud the internal phone speaker is it might not be readily heard, especially if other audio is playing.
While the option to emulate phone audio is no longer available, there is an option to play the BT prompts even during calls.

Back
Top Bottom