• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Rented Movies Not Playing via HDMI

Stuntman

Android Expert
Nov 18, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I rented a movie via Google Play. I can view it on my TF101 fine. However, when I try to play it on my TV via an HDMI cable, all I see is a blank screen on my TV. The sound is OK, thought. It seems that there is an issue playing Google Play rented movies via the Play Movies app.

I am able to view everything else on my TV via HDMI. I can view my home screens. I can see my poker timer app. I can even view movies through Crackle and YouTube. This problem appears to be with the TF101 and the Play Movies app.

I have did some research and found that other users of the TF101 are experiencing the same issue. Also, it seems that users of other Android tablets do not have this issue. Is anyone else here experiencing the same issue with their TF101? If you are able to view rented Google Play movies, I'd like to know as well.

I've had the same problem and despite the app being updated and the TF being updated a couple of times, it's irritating to hear that it's still the case. It's put me off using this service completely.

I can watch YouTube on my tv via HDMI without problem, in fact everything else works fine, but not google movies.

Upvote 0
From the research I've done this is common to all Transformer models , I have a TF300. I wrote to Asus and asked about Google play and iPlayer content not displaying on external TVs and got this very quick response...

"We are aware of the issue and it has got to do something with the HDCP compatibility. Our engineers are working on the issue and a firmware update will be released in the future.

Thank you for your patience and our apologies for the inconvenience caused."

Perhaps we will get a fix with Jelly bean?

Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Stuntman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones