• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Play Services - High Battery Use

UncleMike

Android Expert
Nov 15, 2009
Central NJ
I've been having severe battery life issues for several months, and have been intensely looking into it for the past week or two. After numerous factory resets and flashing custom ROMs, I have discovered that Google Play Services can (and does) change it's use of location services from Low Battery Use to High Battery Use on its own, without any immediate correlation to changes in Location Mode. If I leave the Location Mode set to High Accuracy, Google Play Services will eventually switch to High Battery Use, but not immediately; this could take hours or days. If I switch Location Mode to Battery Saving, Google Play Services will remain on High Battery Use for some time (possibly hours) before switching to Low Battery Use.

I have one device that I changed to High Accuracy days ago, and Google Play Services still appears in the list as Low Battery Use.

All of the devices I'm testing with are 2013 Moto X XT1053 (one DE, one not) running Lollipop, and one of them is currently rooted running CM 12.1. How can I force Google Play Services to remain in Low Battery Use mode on either a rooted or unrooted device?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones