• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Translate

james111

Lurker
So Google Translate on Android reqwires you from the app itself to download the language that you want to translate to/from? so it's and not like Google Translate from a a browser that doesn't need to download anything?

Can you elaborate?

Downloading the language will let you use it without an internet connection, as I recall.
Thing is it didn't translate until I had to download that specific language.

Is this how the Google Translate app has been? that in order to translate the app must download the languages instead of simply connecting to the internet and translating directly without havign to download any languages?

Can you elaborate?

Thing is it didn't translate until I had to download that specific language.

Is this how the Google Translate app has been? that in order to translate the app must download the languages instead of simply connecting to the internet and translating directly without havign to download any languages?

It's been so long ago. I downloaded the app and then downloaded the French language pack. I thought it said the language pack will allow the translator to work without internet. I don't think I tried the translator without the language pack.

I haven't used it in many years since I took French in college and became more fluent.

What's your concern about downloading the language pack?

I have some extreme obsessive compulsive disorder.

I literally hard resetted the phone around 20 times in a row because at any time while setting up the phone or installing apps I choose or press something and I would think I did it wrong or I messed it up (and I'm sure I did nothing wrong) directly end up reformatting the whole thing again etc etc.

I need to be sure that the Google Translate app has to download languages in order to translate otherwise my damn brain is telling me I did something wrong while configuring the app's settings, and all I did with this app is simply sign out from it then proceeded to add the language which then didn't translate until I had to download the language and now I'm obsessed with the idea that the app should not download the language and should have simply translated without downloading the language.

If I can't confirm that I did nothing wrong I won't feel good until I format the whole thing again and I literally spent 3 full days just formatting and installing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom