• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google TV remote video player

Hi all. I'm looking for app advice again.

I have a Logitech Revue, freshly arrived from eBay. I also have a home media server elsewhere on the network, aka a Linux box with a huge hard drive. :) I am trying to determine the best way to make them talk to each other so I can play videos and audio off of the server via the Revue.

Problem: This requires a media player that understands the myriad of video files that float around the world, *and* is able to browse over an NFS share, Samba/SMB/CIFS share, or SSH mount. (I can setup any of those on the server as needed.) This seems like a non-typical set of features for a single app.

I've found ES File Explorer, which looks like an awesome network file browser. However, it's not a media player (nor does it claim to be) so once I select a video file it gives me a "no player for this file" error.

Any suggestions? I'd like to be able to really trick out this setup, but not really sure how to start. Suggestions welcome (for this, or anything else a new Google TV owner really should install).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones