• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Got the Kindle Fire 7 and found it too less customizable...

Daniel Fernandes

Android Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2016
So, I was gifted an Amazon Kindle Fire 7 (7th Gen) a few days back. The tablet seems to be very locked up. I mean, the launcher cannot be changed, there's an ad on the lock screen and the settings menu doesn't have all the options in it. I could somehow install Play Store and change the launcher from an app I found on XDA. But I want complete customization. Perhaps installing a custom ROM? But this tablet also seems unrootable. But there must be some way through right?

Welcome to the world of Amazon.
You can install the Play Store app on it, but it's not ideal. As you would expect from a product of Amazon, they've got you pretty much locked into their purchasing world. That's the price you pay for a relatively cheap tablet, or in your case, free :)
I never looked into rooting mine or installing custom ROMs. Not sure if that can be done.

Reactions: Daniel Fernandes
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones