• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GPS connection problems.

Frank H

Apr 22, 2018
My Nexus 5 worked well some time ago.
However, turning on the GPS with Google Maps to guide me to a location last night, It was fine for a minute and then disconnected. Maps showed a message that it was searching for a lock. After a few minutes it locked but only for a minute. This dropping out continued and it was so bad it was impossible to follow to the location. Luckily I had a passenger who had a phone that worked.

I searched the internet for a solution. There were 2 things I found. First that the antenna connection may be poor. I did as was suggested. The second was to install the GPS Status app, go outside with a clear view to the sky, see haw many connection could be obtained and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. I that and had 9 reliable connections.I also installed the GPS Test app to see the signal strength of each of the satellites. In the open air they varied between 32 and 16 (whatever those numbers mean).

My question is, are those number normal for the Nexus 5 and would the GPS in this condition provide reliable connections for Google Maps in the car to operate?
Thanks

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones