• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS constantly searching

Caeruleum

Lurker
Jul 20, 2016
Hello

Im having a hell of a time with my gps. Most of the website and other problems are complaining about a slow lock or not enough precision. The issue i have is that the GPS specific feature (not the wifi/network location service) will be continuously search even if i leave it running for an hour. Despite of being way out jn the country side or downtown.

To make sure, the things i have tried so far:
-switching between: high accuracy / wifi & network / GPS only. The first and third option never locked on whereas the second option locks on right away but believes i am a lbout 2 blocks away. Completely useless for driving to a new location.

-restarted the phone in safe mode as i read there may be 3rd party apps blocking gps. The results were the same

-i downloaded a-gps and tried a calibration but since it cant find the location no matter the effort, that failed.

Im at a loss here. Im wondering if its possible the damage is hardware and not software. Is that possible?

Hi,
Check the device is able to fix a location.
Remove memory card/ sd card [temporarilly].
Run the device in " safe mode" [ temporarilly].
Go to settings>power manager>battery saver>disable power saving mode.
Go to settings >Date & Time >switch between time zones and select automatic time zone.
Select automatic date.
If this selection fails to fix GPS.
Select GPS provided time zone.
And revise the settings.
Go to settings>account>google select"Auto sync data" checked.
Connect device to internet/ reset connection.
Go to settings>storage>cached data>clear cached data.
Go to settings>scroll down to location.
Turn on ,and tap on mode button.
Switch between modes.and,
Select high accuracy mode.
Install this app from google play store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en.
Open the app in outdoor,under clear sky.
Wait for sometime,for fixing current location,
Look in the circle, see the white dots are changing ,
into green as there is a fixing in location.
If there is a fixing of minimum four / five
satellites,and the fixing is stable.
Then device is able to fix location.

Upvote 0
I've already attempted these fixes.

I might not explain it properly. Let me start over.

I dont have a weak or intermitent connection to GPS.

What i have is absolutely NO connectivity to my GPS specific function. I cant calibrate it because it cant connect at all.

Thats why im asking if GPS can be affected on the hardware level.

Upvote 0
I have my phone set to GPS only..... enough of that WiFi is better crap.... just is not true for me in Rural Areas where there aren't any WiFi signals.... and even if there are, I don't want them.

If I want a GPS feature to be accurate, I start up
* GPS Status & Toolbox - Android Apps on Google Play

When you activate GPS Status & Toolbox, it downloads the satellite ephemeris from NASA servers, only takes a half second, you won't even know it unless you are watching the screen very close.

Then it will lock in the satellites and you can watch the accuracy of your location get better and better.
Should get down to 9 meters or much better, depends on how much of the sky you have available.
4 sats is just barely useful, 11 sats will zero you in good enough to give you Altitude above sea level.

That is my #1 GPS tool, there are others, but that is the only one that occupies my desktop.

Upvote 0
Once again, you are not reading my question. You just offered the same solution as the first guy.

My gps ... does ... not ... lock ...

It searches.. on and on and on and on like a bad joke in a merry-go-round. Do i sound sarcastic? Sorry, i am. I mean no harm by it but its really important to read and understand the problem.

Its a bit annoying on my end because i have a hard time explaining that my gps does not lock to any satellite. Zero.

And to further thiws, even tjough i tried the app before starting this thread, tried it again after the first reply. Then you offered the same solution again so i thought: "im the problem, im the one not understanding the app" so i read a bunch of shit on the app you both reccomended. I live on a farm, we cultivate grass, so guess what i did...

I walked to the middle of the field with a stool. Thats at least 3 miles away from any structure. I shoved the stool right there, using a bubble lever.. i balance it. I admit, i looked like an idiot who lost his marbles. I then turned the app on, full battery, put it on the stool (making sure the screen lock after a delay was deactivated) and came back 5 .. FIVE HOURS LATER ...

wanna know what my gps was doing?

It was still searching, never locked on.

So please, i again ask, THIS IS THE QUESTION SO DONT SKIP IT.

My gps does not lock on, ever. It's not calibrating issue. It worked a month ago when i left on a trip. Is it possible it may be physically broken.? What could explain a 0% lock rate on GPS feature?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones