• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS stops working repeatedly VZW s3

Palm2droid

Jul 16, 2012
Ever since I got the mandatory update to 4.1.1, GPS reception has been spotty. I use navigation frequently, and after a time the GPS just does not work. Testing with apps like GPS test shows no satellites in view.

This really sucks when you are trying to get somewhere and the nave stops working.

The only thing that works is i have to restart the phone. This is crap. It did not behave this way prior to the update and I wish I could go back to the ICS OS, but they wont let me.

1 - is anyone else having this problem?

2- dies anyone have a solution?

[ please don't say root - I still have and want to maintain the warranty. ]

3- overall, I have been having a less stable phone since the update to 4.1.1, what say you? your vzw phone works better or worse since the update?

Thanks for the reply, and yes, it is NOT what i wanted to hear, but understand that I have always had the option of updating my OS when I chose to.

Whether it is Windows or the Palm OS. I waited until the dust settled from those who were anxious to update, and then waited for the problems to be resolved.

My phone was stable and everything worked. If it ain't broken don't fix it. But I was not given that option, the update came thru w/o my consent.

Not only does the GPS give out, but the morons also decided to now route nav instructions thru to the BT earpiece - in the past the nav continued to go out the speaker while the call went to the earpiece. *** tell me is it so difficult to have a menu that says: route calls to... route music to... route nav to...?

also, the new os disables direct call recording. I want that ability back. It was one of the reasons i chose this model phone.

thoughts?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, and yes, it is NOT what i wanted to hear, but understand that I have always had the option of updating my OS when I chose to.

Whether it is Windows or the Palm OS. I waited until the dust settled from those who were anxious to update, and then waited for the problems to be resolved.

My phone was stable and everything worked. If it ain't broken don't fix it. But I was not given that option, the update came thru w/o my consent.

Not only does the GPS give out, but the morons also decided to now route nav instructions thru to the BT earpiece - in the past the nav continued to go out the speaker while the call went to the earpiece. *** tell me is it so difficult to have a menu that says: route calls to... route music to... route nav to...?

also, the new os disables direct call recording. I want that ability back. It was one of the reasons i chose this model phone.

thoughts?

You miss understood. What you don't want to hear is you NEED to do a Factory Reset to clear out old 4.0.4 files left, which can and often does cause problems with the new OS.

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same GPS issue. Were you ever able to find a solution?

My problem: when I start "maps" or any GPS-dependent app, the GPS radio doesn't even turn on (no icon, no searching, and no location identified by GPS). This issue is temporarily resolved by restarting the phone, but it returns, often within the same day. Very frustrating.

Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones