• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Great free app today for the outdoors people 4/26

I've been trying to get this all day! I downloaded, but it took my free space down to zilch. I rooted the phone (THIS is the app that finally gave me the kick in the seat to get it done!), but am still running into space issues. It's about 25mb, I think, but there's an option for an additional very large download.

I'm working with Link2SD right now to try and get it off the phone's memory. Know any tricks?

Upvote 0
Audubon apps act weird. Not sure how they work, but it's defiantly different then most apps.
What they seem to do is automatically installs part of the program onto the SD card. If you link it with Link2SD, it seems to take up more internal space then leaving it alone.
I've tried moving the app from the SD to internal and then linking it with Link2SD, but it seems to not gain any more internal memory then if it was the original install on the SD card.

I've found that any of the Audubon just take up space. If the app is 25 megs, you lose that much internal memory.
It stinks because I have 4 or them, but only have 3 installed because they eat so much space. Also right now they are on sale at Google Play for $4.99 ea. There is 2 more I'd buy, but would not fit anyway.
They also do not install on my 7" tablet, which is a bummer. It would be nice since I have 7 Audubon books, and having them on the tablet with a larger screen then my phone would be great.

If you have Link2SD set up correctly, you should be able to free up tons of space by moving your other apps. There is a tutorial in the rooted section that can help get it set up.

Upvote 0
Also right now they are on sale at Google Play for $4.99 ea. There is 2 more I'd buy, but would not fit anyway.
They also do not install on my 7" tablet, which is a bummer. It would be nice since I have 7 Audubon books, and having them on the tablet with a larger screen then my phone would be great.

just cause google play says it won't work, doesn't mean it won't.

download and install it to your OV then use a program like apk extractor and move a copy to your tablet and install it that way. [remove from OV if you need space back] only time that hasn't worked for me, is when I just didn't have enough room on the OV to download it.

Upvote 0
just cause google play says it won't work, doesn't mean it won't.

download and install it to your OV then use a program like apk extractor and move a copy to your tablet and install it that way. [remove from OV if you need space back] only time that hasn't worked for me, is when I just didn't have enough room on the OV to download it.
That's what I tried with it already and does not work, the app will not install.
It's a generic 7" tablet, HeroTab C8 / Dropad A8.
I have tried different finger prints without success.
One thing I have not tried and not sure it would make a difference, is a ICS ROM for the tablet. A new ICS ROM was released this morning and is missing some fixes that have already been figured out. Both ROMs have bugs that keep me from leaving them on my tablet, but never tried to install an Audubon app when I had the ROM installed.....
The developers are working hard on ICS ROMs getting the bugs worked out.... I really like the one I installed on the tablet....

Upvote 0
I think I had the tablet before the phone. Never really checked on the OV specs....

Here's a link to the specs of my tablet: (It's a 7", there descriptions wrong)
Herotab C8 Samsung 1GHZ Android 2.3 Honeycomb like UI Flash 10.1 Capacitive Multitouch

Just read on another forum about my tablet that the ICS ROM I had installed before will be getting updated in the next few days with a new Kernel. Hope that fixes the issue with it that made me flash a different ROM.

Any programs out there that can move the data?
I bookmarked the page, but never went back to read about, I think it was Magpie as a alternate to Link2SD.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones