• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Griffin car dock died...here comes McGyver!

My Griffin dock has failed so that it won't charge my phone and I refuse to buy another one or fix this cheap piece of crap. I saw this thread where a person used an Otterbox Commuter case and a Razr Maxx car dock to McGyver a dock solution. As it happens, I moved to the Maxx from a Razr Maxx and still have my car dock. I took it apart yesterday and it looks like it would be a pretty simple task to put one together but I have a question about the phone fitting the Otterbox.

It looks like that person had to put their phone in a thin case so it would fit tightly enough in the Otterbox to hold the phone while they were using it as a car dock. I need a solution that doesn't require a sleeve. Do you think the Commuter case will hold this phone tightly enough that it won't slip out? Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones