• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Holy cheesy accessories, Batman!

Cracked the screen on my Razr Maxx yesterday so I picked up a Maxx on the way home from work. Looks like a great phone, feels like a great phone, and acts like a great phone. I'll take it. Now it's time to look at the accessories and there's only a couple of docks for my desk and one for the car. Not very impressive but I need some options so I bought the Griffin car dock and a Tylt. Imagine my surprise though when I put the phone in the car dock and nothing happens. No car dock mode? Really? No desktop charger dock either? Did we take a step backwards here? Sure seems like it.

So, the dock features, especially the desktop charger and nighttime alarm clock, were possibly my favorite features. Do they exist anymore? If not, this is really troubling and may cause me to take this phone back. Please tell me there's a way to get my dock modes back when I'm at home or in the car and that there are better dock options than the Tylt and Griffin car dock cause so far I'm not impressed by either.

Thanks,
Mike

There is definitely a car dock app that is supposed to start when you dock the phone. It's not quite like the alternate home that launched with the old Moto omap phones.

It's magnetically sensed. If you put a small magnet on the back (left side as you are looking at the phone, across from the volume buttons) it launches. I'd use a weak magnet; an iPad cover with magnets will do it.

That said, the car dock is mediocre. I don't like it an will start using a generic dock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones