• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hangouts doesn't use my Contacts

UncleMike

Android Expert
Nov 15, 2009
Central NJ
I'm having a problem where Hangouts doesn't seem to using the info stored in my contacts. I've had a similar issue before, that is still unresolved, but the symptom this time is different.

Since the recent Hangouts update I am now receiving Google Voice voicemail in Hangouts. Voicemail messages are listed in the thread for the correct contact, but when I tap on the contact's icon next to the voicemail message to bring up his contact info and return his call, Hangouts flashes a message "No contact information found". If I long-press on the icon I can ""Copy text", "Forward" or "View details". If I view details, then press the Back button, then tap on the icon again, the contact information is displayed. Additionally, tapping on the icon next to a SMS in the same thread always brings up the contact information.

This particular contact is Google-phobic, and has virtually no information in his Google account. What appears to be happening is that for voicemail, Hangouts is unable to find a Google account associated with caller's number, and since there isn't one, it tells me no contact information is found, even though the number is listed in my contacts. Hangouts is essentially ignoring the contact information on my device.

While I love Android and Google, I realize that not everyone else does, and not everyone will have a Google account. If what I think is happening is what's actually happening, it's an asinine way to do things.

Got any thoughts on this?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones