• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Have you rooted your phone?

dwang040

Dec 17, 2013
Is it terrible to lose the drm keys? Cause I want to root it and install xposed, but I heard that you lose soo much from the lose of drm keys. I know there's a way to backup the drm keys, root, and restore the keys, but the process seems complicated. If you did it that way, was it super complex? Thanks for your answers.

Does the root method involve unlocking the bootloader?

If yes, there's not much you can do, but if you can wait till later on today, I'll have a look at what's involved and lay it out for you (I've a tonne on today so not much I can do till later, sorry).

From memory, backing up your TA partition (where the DRM keys are stored) is pretty easy, you just need to be rooted first.

Upvote 0
Does the root method involve unlocking the bootloader?

If yes, there's not much you can do, but if you can wait till later on today, I'll have a look at what's involved and lay it out for you (I've a tonne on today so not much I can do till later, sorry).

From memory, backing up your TA partition (where the DRM keys are stored) is pretty easy, you just need to be rooted first.

The method was downgrade your firmware. Run an exploit. Backup the drm keys, now upgrade your firmware. Root and restore drm keys.

Here's the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2642081

Upvote 0
Yes you can root with bootloader locked...I have root and busybox plus exposed framework on stock rom 23.4.A.0.546 customised. With locked bootloader...

Attachments

• 1441497333032.jpg
    1441497333032.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
quick question, do you need to unlock the boat loader for xposed module to work? That's one of the main reasons I'm planning on rooting, along with amplify and greenify.
No...you do not unlock the bootloader at all....I do photography and if I unlocked the bootloader and lose the drm keys I lose some of the camera settings...so, I searched high and low for this method... I have NEVER unlocked the bootloader and don't plan to....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones