• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Heading to T-Mobile from Verizon

BCM

Well after ages on Verizon I have decided to give T-Mobile a try but I have some questions. I am selling my Verizon unlimited 4G contract on eBay but I want to port my number over to T-Mobile. What is the smart way to do this? I don't want to lose my number in this process.

I will have the buyer do an assumption of liability so there won't be an ETF. I am selling my Verizon LG G2 as well and will use that money to help fund another G2 or possible the Nexus 5.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks,
Bryan

Well after ages on Verizon I have decided to give T-Mobile a try but I have some questions. I am selling my Verizon unlimited 4G contract on eBay but I want to port my number over to T-Mobile. What is the smart way to do this? I don't want to lose my number in this process.

I will have the buyer do an assumption of liability so there won't be an ETF. I am selling my Verizon LG G2 as well and will use that money to help fund another G2 or possible the Nexus 5.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks,
Bryan

You can't keep your g2 over on T-Mobile after unlocking it from them?

Most newer Verizon flagships come with t least hspa+21 radios along with its own CDMA ones, the Samsung phones can even use T-Mobile LTE network

I would recommend getting a Tmo (GSM) phone. One question. Do you have Tmo service in your area? That has been my roadblock.

I have T-Mobile in my area. What do you think about keeping my number during the AOL process?

Bryan

I don't think you can keep your number and sell your contract. The number and contract are tied together. IOW the contract buyer would also get your number. To port your number over you would have to terminate the Verizon contract.

I made the switch to TMo from VZW in January. My wife is still on VZW and I wanted to transfer my unlimited data to her account and number, couldn't do it. I believe Crashdamage is correct. I don't think there is a "legal way" of transferring your unlimited plan without the number. I'm not even sure you can change the name of the owner of the account, so, you could end up still being financially responsible.

I considered trying to sell my VZW unlimited and decided it was not worth the risk.

You mentioned transferring the contract to avoid the ETF......you do know that TMo is paying ETF's for people who switch? I just went through the process and it worked great. Had a $140.00 ETF from VZW. After filing the paperwork, TMo sent me a prepaid MC with $140.00 on it. The whole process took about 6-8 weeks.

BTW....I live in the Chicago area and TMo service has been great. I can't say it has been better than VZW but it is at least as good. Also, since I got the phone I have been to Zurich, SF and LA. The coverage has been excellent. Especially enjoyed TMo international coverage in Zurich....no extra charges! I'll be putting the international coverage to the test again next week. Going back to Zurich for two weeks and then to Paris for another week. Hoping the trend continues!

LuvMusic is correct. You cannot change the owner of the contract. The buyer would only be buying the ability to use the account and number. The account would have to stay in the OP's name, with the new 'owner' paying the bill and the OP still ultimately financially responsible for failure to pay.

Well I switched from Vzw to Tmo in Dec. and though their converage is iffy in my area, I'm glad I did switch. I didn't have any unlimited data plan but i'm saving $50 a month. I'm satisfied.

I don't think you can keep your number and sell your contract. The number and contract are tied together. IOW the contract buyer would also get your number. To port your number over you would have to terminate the Verizon contract.

This is not necessarily true. I have ported out a number from Verizon in the past and requested a new number for my line with no problem.

LuvMusic is correct. You cannot change the owner of the contract. The buyer would only be buying the ability to use the account and number. The account would have to stay in the OP's name, with the new 'owner' paying the bill and the OP still ultimately financially responsible for failure to pay.

This is incorrect. You can do an AOL or assumption of liability where you are transferring control and responsibility to another party.

This is not necessarily true. I have ported out a number from Verizon in the past and requested a new number for my line with no problem.
Verizon refused to do this for a family member of mine. She sold a small business and wanted her mobile number, which she had used for the business number, to go to the new owner. But Verizon would only assign her a new number if they kept control of the old one. If the new business owner was already a Verizon customer they would allow a transfer, but she was not.

This is incorrect. You can do an AOL or assumption of liability where you are transferring control and responsibility to another party.
This is subject to their approval. They can refuse to do so for several reasons - new owner's credit check, payment history, etc - and likely would. They will never transfer a grandfathered plan. A while back I tried to transfer a data-only plan I had for my laptop and they refused, apparently just because they didn't feel in the mood. I had never missed a payment, new owner had good credit. Claimed it was against their standard policy, which I took to mean they just didn't want to. Verizon is like that.

I just wanted to give everyone an update who may be following the thread. I was able to change my Verizon number after porting the number to Google Voice. I was also successful in selling my Verizon contract on eBay and did the AOL or assumption of liability with no issues whatsoever.

Ordered my Nexus 5 and I'm looking forward to not be shackled to Verizon!

Not a bad day.

Back
Top Bottom