• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hello all

Hey, so i notice a lot of negative topics under this board, so have an honest question. Is the x10 worth me trading my blackberry for? I have used android devices before (htc magic and samsung galaxy). Put a custom 1.6 galax0 on the galaxy and just want to check if the x10 is terribly dated (status if any on getting 2.2), or should I hold out and try to get a newer device or a nexus? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I am personally very happy with my X10 and am not too worried about having the latest firmware as soon as possible, unlike some people. Never having seen v2.x of the Android OS means that when we eventually get it, it will (hopefully) be a nice surprise, but in the meantime, it's not stopping me from using and enjoying my phone. Some people, however, will never be happy unless they've got the most up to date thing possible. If you're one of them, you'd probably be better off going for a Nexus.

Also, the big trouble with any forum is that you tend to get an unbalanced view. People who have problems will ask for solutions on a forum, but you'll very rarely get anyone come to a forum purely just to say how good anything is. So if you just casually browse a forum, all you'll invariably see is problem after problem.

a phone is what YOU make of it.

if people do not know how to use the android OS then its a nightmare - like all phones and also some people do not like change!!

Also you have to remember a phone is a phone so dont expect any phone to be as good as a tom tom for a satnav, a 50" HDTV for films, the latest digital SLR for a camera etc etc

People expect the best out of every bit of technology out there in the palm of their hand - and get hughly disappointed

Battery life is managable...but so are 99% of smart phones out there!! but then again - you are never far away from a power point whether its in the car, office or home

i get about 14-16ish hours without turning off stuff i use like bluetooth, GPS etc with moderate use of phones calls and heavy text messaging - and its on charge when i am asleep - no big deal

My only gripe is that i can never find the charging socket unless i turn the light on when its dark!!

2.1 should be sept but maybe later.
There's probably something coming out around the corner but then there always is, I got the X10 because of the camera but it's probably the best for android.

SE are always late with updates....i dont think it will be here until 2011

I thought they were going straight to 2.2...unless i read it wrong somewhere

i think if i remember right people who root their phones will try to get a custom 2.2 rom on the phone - think there trying to work on it now

Why dont SE update to something thats current instead of updating to old FW's??

Android is on 2.2 (i think) and there only updating to 2.1.....yesterdays FW!!

Yeah the latest is 2.2 but, its not on all phones yet. By the time SE release 2.1 though yeah, the other phones will have 2.2.
I personally, would love to have 2.1 on it and 2.2 as soon as. Because I do want the latest thing/up to date. But, my partner has a HTC Desire, so already has 2.1 on it and 2.2 coming soon, probably when we get 2.1 and I've used it. Yeah 2.1 would be nice but, I don't see any difference really. Some more apps on the store. That's always a good thing but, I havent seen anything I *have* to have on there. If there was, I do have the option of using my partners but, so far there's been nothing.
And yeah 2.2 would be great, with Flash support but, I don't actually know how much I'd use it, or need it. And coming from an iPhone, it's not that big of a deal :p lol.

Again, it is down to personal preference though. Yes it would be nice to have the latest firmware but, do you personally need it? Or would you use the newer features?

OK I know nothing about BB but what I have read on this forum and others, if you use your phone for work emails alone then the X10 does not seem as synchronised as the BB phones are.

But saying that I run two company's one a decorating business and the other a powerkite school and so far the X10 is a great work/social phone for me.

I have one Gmail account and one web based email account so I use the phones email for the Gmail and simply have a bookmark on the desktop for the web based email addy, I use facebook as a tool to pimp both my business's and the android facebook app and widget is great for this (I just wish you could set up multiple FB accounts on the phone) I also moderate a popular powerkite forum and pimp my kiteschool via other forums and this phone is the best one I have used for updating and pimping on the net. If a student has done well I can get some video footage or a picture and upload it to their FB page, youtube or email it to them on the spot and if the school freestyle team is out and going huge I can do the same to pimp the riders.

Android ver1.6 and 2.1 are worlds apart but... Ask anyone who owns an X10 to go on to a phone with ver2.1 and they will struggle to tell you the difference apart from the speed it operates graphics and commands and the fact the battery lasts longer.

Why?

Well it's the same reason it's taking Sony Ericsson to bring us an updated OS.

There was lots of things ver1.6 cant do that ver2.1 can but as Android is open source and the fact 1.6 was really open to tweaking and the fact SE planned their interface around 1.6 before 2.1 was stable and released, SE went to town rewriting ver1.6 for the X10. The funny thing is most X10 owners have not realised this fact and keep banging on about wanting 2.1 on the update! Why? The X10 on ver1.6 does almost everything ver2.1 does we should all be asking for ver2.2 or ver3 from SE not 2.1 :)

I cant be bothered to go looking for it now but there are huge similarity's between the X10's version of 1.6 and vanilla 2.1, SE tweaked it so much to give us a lot of fetures that 2.1 has on 1.6 as that is what they wrote timescape and mediascape but to be fair, I have never used them since the 1st week I got the phone but at least they did go to the effort of trying to give us the latest features that ver2.1 has but play a game like monkey kick on the X10 and a phone with ver2.1 really shows up the speed difference.

I have since rooted and waiting for a nice 2.2 rom to be released for my rooted phone.

I think i am going to go for it, i am a total phone whore and cant stop switching but by far android has been my favorite (love all the rooting and stuff). Pinch to zoom isnt that important to me but is the xperia getting it or no, i read some places that with 2.1 it will be, but then SE is saying it doesnt support it.EDIT Also does updating from say 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.6 to the future 2.1 relock the unlocked phone?

Thanks

No, there were some rumors the X10 would be getting multi touch but, at least two SE people have confirmed that it wont be getting it. Which is a shame. The GBA emulator is much better with multi touch but, thats just me playing games :p lol.

Back
Top Bottom