• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help finding app to make calls over wifi in the UK

nessthiss

Apr 1, 2010
I'm taking a trip to the UK in August and since I'm addicted to having my Verizon Galaxy Nexus everywhere I go, I want to be able to use it while I'm there.

One partial solution I've found is to use a TEP pocket wifi modem which will let me and my wife connect our phones to a data connection. Google Maps, Yelp, and Facebook check ins will still be possible.

But what about calls? The same company rents smartphones but they are currently sold out and I don't know that they'll have any available for when I go.

Skype is an option, but 60 minutes of calls to UK landlines and mobiles is $12.50 and a UK number for people to call me on is another $18.

I've looked into Line2 but they don't list their rates to call the UK on their site, so that might not even work.

I've heard about using GrooveIP with Google Voice, but I don't know much about setting that up.

A last resort is to get a pre-paid feature phone when we get there but then there's one extra thing to carry around.

Does anyone know of an app that will let me make calls over wifi to the UK, and provide me with a local number for people in the UK to call me? I don't mind paying for minutes or the app, I'm just trying to figure out what's the best option.

Thanks for any help.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones