• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me like this phone.

I just exchanged my Note 7 for the Pixel XL and I reallllly want to like this phone. The Note 7 I felt was in a league of it's own. It was god tier. I was going to keep it regardless of some blowing up, until I found out they are cutting off cellular connection to the phone.

First impression.....very meh. Yes, it's fast. No denying that. Camera is nice, but I don't buy phones for the cameras. It is verrry ugly. Inside and out. The bezzles are awful which makes the big screen feel small and the stock keyboard is ugly. The phone doesn't feel like it's finished. Somethings look like they're placeholders and should say "Coming Soon". Example: when you power off or restart, that menu doesn't feel finished at all. Compared to what the Note 7 was, this phone feels like the cosmetics are in beta stage.

Yes, it's cosmetics. But still, I feel like with how expensive this phone is, it should look nicer all around. The feel of the phone feels like it belongs in 2011. Also, not having a physical home button is playing games with my brain, lol.

But like I said, I want to like this phone. I'm google everything. But some things are just plain ugly. Just like the NIVIDA Shield TV. Very ugly and doesn't look finished.

Even I feel the same. Even in terms of camera. Halo is produced in the image, I never expected this from the Google. This makes me to feel like the phone came before a decade.

You are right - it is not very pretty. I agree - sounds like it was rushed. Bezels are too large for my taste, and don't really serve a purpose (would have been nicer if they had front facing speakers at least).

Having said that, the cosmetics don't really bother me that much. The speed and the camera and the speedy updates are the critical things for me, and I don't see anything else on the Android side that would come close to the Pixel.

I don't think there is anything anyone on here can help you in order for you to like the phone more. This is between you and your device.

I enjoy the device because of the experience in the software, not so much the looks. The phone looks boring, sure, but I hardly look at my phone while it's not on, and when it is on I am not looking at the outer body - I'm looking into the screen.

I think you're very used to Samsung, and you're comparing that with this. For as long as you do that, you won't come to like the phone for what it is - you'll always dislike it for what it's not. The example about the power menu: I'm not sure what else you want it to do or look like. It offers you the option to power down or restart, and that's it. Would more rounded corners make it feel more finished? How often are you in this menu anyway? lol

You should consider whether you want to return it, while you still can and perhaps check out the S7 Edge. That may give you the closest experience to the Note 7.

Well even if Samsung has a phone that explodes and a washing machine that self destructs, it's still the manufacturer who knows how to make a good smartphone cosmetically and functionally.

I don't own any of the Pixel but from a couple of reviews I've read, I still think it's a good phone for what you get for its price. The design and the size might not be for everyone's taste but with the Pixel you should be safe at least for the next 2 years in term of hardware performance and software update.

Back
Top Bottom