• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help me understand what LTE is

Actually, didn't they tweak the definition so carriers like at&t and T-Mobile could call their hspa+ networks 4g? I couldn't care less what anyone says. Just because they can channel bond hspa+ to 84mbps doesn't mean it's 4g. First gen LTE covers most of the 4g requirements that get overlooked because people think max theoretical throughput is the only thing that matters.

Someone had an article from early 2011 on 21 mbps HSPA+ that showed that they were able to achieve ~15mbps speeds when in close range of a tower and stationary, but at further reaches of the cell and on the move, it was a more real world 2-3mbps. As a matter of fact, HSPA+ speeds have been shown to decrease almost exponentially with distance from the tower. LTE was developed to address these kinds of issues. Your data rates aren't highly dependent on proximity and motion. I tested this back in the summer, running speed tests cruising the interstate at 75mph and was able to achieve downloads in the 20-30mbps range.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones