• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help: music stops playing in background

I'm new to Android so forgive what I'm sure is a simply question but the music player on my Atrix. Currently when playing music it stops about 2 minutes after the screen turns off (set to 1 minute). Pandora keeps playing but I can't find the setting to allow the stock player to keep playing the background. I've made sure the app is not on auto kill and there doesn't seem to be an obvious setting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have had the same problem too on my Atrix. I have tried downloading the Google beta player and the problem still exists. I have all my music on my SD card. Any help?

I don't know if it's the same problem, but when I'm listening to shoutcast via the music player, if I lock my screen it shuts off after about 45 seconds. If I set my screen to never timeout it plays awesome. This sucks because of obvious battery implications, but also makes no sense because the auto end list is blank. :-\

Ialso have this problem and I am trying the suggestions in this thread:

Music Player Apparently stops playing - xda-developers

We'll see how it goes....
The thread solved it for me!
In particular, this post:
Hi, i just brought Atrix few day ago, and i having same problem with you all, and i try it many time , now i finally fix it.

1.Go to your advanced task manager to remove auto-end with the Music , Gallery and original phone Task Manager from the list.

2.Go to your phone original Task Manager to remove auto-end with the Music , Gallery and advanced Task Manager from the list.
which was derived from earlier posts in the XDA-developers forum.

I don't have a ATK or ATM or anything like that, so I just removed the "gallery" from auto-kill in my Task-Manager (the one that came with the phone).

Seems like the speculation was due to music players using Gallery-related functions for the album-art. So when the Auto-End list killed my "Gallery" app, it also killed a piece of gallery-art in the music player, which in turn paused or killed the music player.

My phone/atrix also went about 1-2minutes after screen went off before music stopped player.
I just went through about 5-songs post-screen shut-off and it's been running fine.

good luck!

I'm having the same problem with my Atrix, even after the upgrade to Gingerbread. I've checked the screen timeout and sleep settings and the glitch remains. The player stops playing about a minute in after I switch off the screen.

I'm new to Android so forgive what I'm sure is a simply question but the music player on my Atrix. Currently when playing music it stops about 2 minutes after the screen turns off (set to 1 minute). Pandora keeps playing but I can't find the setting to allow the stock player to keep playing the background. I've made sure the app is not on auto kill and there doesn't seem to be an obvious setting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

I tried taking the gallery and music player off the auto-kill list, but I still have the problem of the music player stopping about a minute into the first song when the screen is shut off.

I tried something that worked - set the Sleep Timer to "1 hour" (or the max allowed) instead of "Never". Have been playing 4-5 songs with the screen off and it is ok.

Device: Moto Atrix

Good luck!

pearljam;[URL="tel:3686442" said:
3686442[/URL]]Hi,

I tried taking the gallery and music player off the auto-kill list, but I still have the problem of the music player stopping about a minute into the first song when the screen is shut off.

I tried something that worked - set the Sleep Timer to "1 hour" (or the max allowed) instead of "Never". Have been playing 4-5 songs with the screen off and it is ok.

Device: Moto Atrix

Good luck!

I forgot to mention, did you make sure the music player apps are not on the auto kill list. I just thought about this, if you are streaming music over wifi, you need to make sure it doesn't time out after the screen goes to sleep. You can check this by going into the wifi settings and have it to never go to sleep. Another thing is what battery profile are you using? Some of them turn off data after a certain amount of time after the screen times out.

OK - initially the problem still exists after taking Gallery off the auto-kill list, but later I found a picture/gallery-related item called "Chooser" and took that off the auto-kill list as well. Now the music now plays without abruptly stopping. Yay!

Thanks for the advice :D

I forgot to mention, did you make sure the music player apps are not on the auto kill list. I just thought about this, if you are streaming music over wifi, you need to make sure it doesn't time out after the screen goes to sleep. You can check this by going into the wifi settings and have it to never go to sleep. Another thing is what battery profile are you using? Some of them turn off data after a certain amount of time after the screen times out.

I have the same issue with my music stopping when the screen times out, however when I open task manager, the auto kill list is empty. Evidently nothing is set to auto kill. Any other suggestions?

I believe I found my issue. I was listening to a song that was sent to my email and it was saved to my messages folder, which I guess is excluded from the screen timeout settings. I saved it to my music and it does not stop after timeout now. Love your site!

I had a problem with media starting and stopping, and no sound from youtube, although I had sound from ringtones, so I knew the physical speaker worked. After some research, I did a factory reset. No luck. I uninstalled all apps. No luck. So I did a 5 minute battery pull. No luck. Finally, I did an overnight battery pull = remove battery for 8 hours. Woke up, and assembled the battery to phone. My homescreen had 2 old icons that were right on right before I deleted the apps the night before. Maybe there is a buffer stack overflow in the droid deletion routine? (question for the devs). And so to continue, I started up my tunein radio and the sound and program work perfectly! Long story short, just try taking the battery out for 8 hours to fix your phone! ;-)

I had this issue for a while and just figured out how to fix it last night and wanted to share. My rom is rooted and custom by cyanogenmods. If you go to settings>>CyanogenMod Settings>>User Interface>>screen timeout delay>>15s and settings>>CyanogenMod Settings>>User Interface>>screen turned off delay>>15s
That's it! change those times to 15 seconds and all should work.

Back