• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help needed, ASAP

WolfieLuvs

So, last night I screwed up, by trying to download a free version of a google play game from a random site. I ended up downloading an .apk called File Manager v1.1. It goes under the file name com.adv.fm.pro and it is, from what I've managed to gather, a very persistent adware trojan. It's, in short, annoying as all hell. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience trying to get rid of it or succeeded in getting rid of it.

Here's the rub with this thing. Not only does it frequently make ads pop up all over my phone, it has asserted itself as a device administrator and refuses to let me disable it through my accessibility options or my security options. It also will not let my boot into safe mode, although I can get into recovery mode. I've thought about doing a backup and wiping my data clean, but figured that would just cause more problems since the file would just end up on my sd card and even less obtainable. Malwarebytes was able to pick it up as a harmful file, but I still cannot delete it. I'm also tempted to root my phone and do it that way, but I have a Mac and I'm not entirely sure how to root using Heimdall as I've only ever used Odin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, whether it be a walkthrough on rooting through Heimdall or getting rid of this stupid file through less extreme means.

Back
Top Bottom