• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HELP PLEASE..bricked razr maxx hd

Hey guys..I'm hoping someone might be able to save me a few grey hairs and help me unbrick my razr maxx hd ... Quick background on what led up to it.. I have a razr maxx hd running Android 4.4.2 and system version 183.4610xt962. My phone IS Rooted and has been for a while with no issues. But last night I got bored and was playing with it. I was trying to get back my tethering from Verizon since I have a grandfathered in unlimited data plan... So first I FROZE some Verizon programs as suggested on-line..I froze VZWAPNService and I think VZWSecure settings..I was told these wouldn't effect the phone since they weren't Motorola files but would hide the tethering from Verizon..it didn't work...so I did some more checking and found and article on Entitlement Hacks which said this would get back your free tethering from verizon_..so I did it, which consisted of changing my build.prop file in system setting..i renamed the original with a BAK extension so its still on the phone...I rebooted this time and got to the droid "Eye" and then nothing. I can go into fastboot and recovery but really don't know what to do once there...any help would be appreciated...thanks

P.S..I did a backup with titanium..but I can't open the phone to get to it

You say you are rooted, but do you have the bootloader unlocked as well? If so, then you probably have TWRP or CWM installed. If so, you can boot into those and use the file manager to navigate back to the directory and copy back your original build.prop file and reboot.

If you are only rooted, but didn't unlock your bootloader, then I'm not sure what else can be done but to flash back to stock.

If you are not unlocked, go here and get the House of Moto Tool:

House of Moto [3.0] - SamuriHL's House Of Moto - DroidRzr.com

Or, you can use the RSD Flasher if you prefer using RSDLite:

RSD Flasher [BETA] WINDOWS ONLY - SamuriHL's House Of Moto - DroidRzr.com

Of course, this means you lose root, but you can get that back easily with Towelroot.

Follow the directions and either tool will flash you back to stock and preserve your data on your internal SD card. All other data (text messages, settings) will be lost, but since you have TiBu, you should be able to restore those apps depending on when you last backed them up (minus your text messages).

What apparently happened is you borked your build.prop with some invalid entries and now it's in a proverbial boot loop.

BTW, I would really suggest, if you are not unlocked, to do so. The phone is almost 2 years old and is at end-of-life for Motorola and Verizon. Since you've rooted, you've already voided your warranty and unlocking the bootloader doesn't harm the phone in any way.

Just go here to unlock once you've flashed back to stock:

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/46155-rootunlock-442-182183-razr-hdm-only/

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply...yes my bootloader is unlocked..and I used..as I recall..TWRP. They just came up with the root for this phone with kitkat 4.4.2 about a month ago and I believe that is what did it..I say I believe because I tried everything out there and up until about a month ago none of them worked but I know I have TWRP bookmarked and on my PC.. But how do you boot into those files ? ? When I start up my phone..and have it connected with a usb to the pc..nothing happens no matter what I choose..fastboot,restore etc..it searches for a driver on the PC..which I know is there since I've hooked the phone to the pc countless times to transfer music...but it says no driver found and shuts off ? ?

Upvote 0
Well...pc isn't asking for a driver anymore . .and nothing in device manager on the pc is asking for a driver anymore and the phone says Device is unlocked,status code:3...battery ok...transfer mode: USB connected. now what ? I've tried running programs like ADB..Fastboot...and SDK but nothing seems to link to the phone ? ? ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones