• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with backup soft bricked phone

pgrgrl

Lurker
Sep 28, 2015
Last week, my stock, non-rooted phone running 4.4.2 got stuck in a boot loop. My contacts and photos were not backed up. When I called Verizon and some other places for help and was told that the solution was going to be factory reset which would wipe my data, I did some reading to find out that it is possible to rescue my data with the proper tools. Fortunately a friend had an old S3 that I am using in the meantime.

I tried using the Samsung Galaxy S3 Unified Toolkit for Windows, but this was unsuccessful. I'm not sure why, but I suspect maybe it didn't have the proper drivers. After that, I got stuck in Odin mode. I tried to install a No-Wipe Factory Image using Odin (I got it from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2795659). This failed with an error message that it could not write, which leads me to believe there is a permissions problem, I assume that might be because the phone is not rooted?

On my Notebook computer, I am running Ubuntu 12.04, so my next attempt was going to be to try to pull the data with adb shell. I didn't attempt this first because I am not that familiar with running linux commands and I couldn't find a "for dummies" instruction to guide me through it.

This might be a dumb question, but, is it necessary to have my SIM card in the phone to do this backup?

And, are there any easy guides for adb commands to help me through this? Will pull commands work on a non-rooted phone?

Thanks in advance.

Samsung Galaxy S3 I535. But the phone is now stuck in "download mode", it will not start normally in order to do a backup. Before it got stuck in download mode, the phone would not stay on, it constantly shut down and rebooted. So the 30-90 minutes connection to run this backup was impossible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones