• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hidden files + PC question

Dkier

Hello I just got this phone and I'm loving it so far. I got some questions:

I'm aware of the way to hide pictures/videos from the integrated gallery apps by putting a .nomedia file into the folders, problem is.. that when I connect my phone to the PC I can't see the said files from the SDcard at all. Is there a way to view them through tweaking or I have to get a PC software to do that?

Yes the folders are accessible but the picture files inside them are not seen in the PC except the phone.

Try this:
Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.

Click the View tab.

Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.

Tried that and it seems not all files are displayed, could this be android OS related?

Version 2.3.4
Build Number 4.0.2.A.0.42 rooted

Upgrading to ICS might remedy this but I don't have plans to do that yet I guess I'll just temporarily move out the .nomedia file whenever I check out my pictures.

Thanks!

i don't fully understand the question, do you mean when you connect your phone to the pc, you can see the thumbnails, but there are no pictures on them?

^ Some folders with pictures are empty(0 bytes) and some contain the picture files with no thumbnail but they can be viewed.

Anyways after some testing I think I have found the cause that makes the pictures "hidden" at the pc in the first place.

I had one folder(and a couple of sub folders inside) already containing pictures that I wanted to hide so I proceed to create the .nomedia file and placed it in there. After that I connected the phone to the PC and checked that specific folder: all pictures, including the ones in the sub folders are totally hidden. I then placed some pictures from the PC into that folder then I disconnected -> reconnected the phone and checked, the new picture files I pasted from the PC are visible and can be viewed as I stated in the first paragraph.

In other words, putting a .nomedia file into a folder with pictures will make them totally hidden when accessed through the PC except ones that are newly added, hope I made some sense here.

Back
Top Bottom