• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How can I delete contacts that are in the Phone app?

So I was trying to clean up my contacts. I have clean up everything in my synced Google contact. My People app is alright. However, there are still a lot of contacts in my Phone app that I cannot delete. So, how I can delete contacts that is in my Phone app?

"phone" and "people" are the same app, just different entry points to it. So can you explain in more detail what exactly you are doing and seeing.

That was what I thought. In my case there are contacts that exist in Phone app but not in the People app. And there is no button to delete this contact.

I have tried to clear app data and cache but both are not solving my problem.

No, contacts are not part of the phone app's data. They are handled by an app called "Contacts Storage" (Settings > Apps > All and you'll find it there). Clearing data for that should erase everything, so make sure you have everything backed-up before trying that (I'd be tempted to "export" them from the People app as well as having the Google backup, just to be safe).

Is there anything different about these contacts? Specifically, are these contacts which you'd backed-up to GMail and had then deleted, or are these other contacts (phone only or stored on the SIM)? Check Settings in both Phone and People and see whether they are both set to show all types of contacts, in case you have one of them set to only show some types.

Also, have you tried the trivial thing: rebooting and seeing whether they disappear?

Back
Top Bottom