• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How can I get a special notification sound for SMS / messages only?

Biffos

Android Enthusiast
How can I get a special notification sound for SMS / messages only?

There are so many notifcations all the time and I want a sound sounding only when an SMS / message comes in and not for other reasons? How could I achieve that?

First, go into settings>sound>do not disturb. There you set what you want to go through or not, but remember this is for sound only. So if you set everything under the advanced tab to off and set your Calls settings to not allow anyone and then your SMS, MMS to only from contacts what you will do is silence your phone except for text messages when in Don Not Disturb mode. You'll still get the notifications, but they won't play any sound. Now, DND mode can be set for only a specific length of time, on at certain times during the day or on until you turn it off.

You could also go into each apps settings and turn off notifications, but then you won't get the visual notification either.

You'll have to play around to see what works best for you.

If you mean a different sound for SMS, go into your message app's settings, find the notification settings and change the notification tone.

If you mean that you want everything else silent, you can turn off the notifications for individual apps, or set a "do not disturb" rule which silences apps by default but allows message alerts.

There you set what you want to go through or not, but remember this is for sound only.
So this means to turn the other sounds off? Actually they can keep sounding like they do now. Only the sound for SMS shall be different. The same as having a different sound for calls. I just want to be able to distinguish the SMS (sounds) from the others.

You could also go into each apps settings and turn off notifications, but then you won't get the visual notification either.
That would not be good, I assume.

If you mean a different sound for SMS, go into your message app's settings, find the notification settings and change the notification tone.
Yes, a different sound for SMS, all of the other sounds can stay as they are.

f you mean that you want everything else silent,
No, I don't.

I thought sounds can only be changed in the general settings.Respectively I can touch that SMS / messages icon but cannot find in its settings anything to change the sound.

I thought sounds can only be changed in the general settings.Respectively I can touch that SMS / messages icon but cannot find in its settings anything to change the sound.
On my phone running Oreo 8.0.0:

System Settings | Apps & notifications | App info | Messages* | App notifications | Categories - Default | Sound

Your path may vary, and/or there may be other ways to get there, but it should be similar.

Choose the sound you want and save it. Done!

*Assumes you're using the default, i.e., 'Messages' app. If not, replace that step with your app and continue.

System Settings | Apps & notifications | App info | Messages* | App notifications | Categories - Default | Sound

Your path may vary, and/or there may be other ways to get there, but it should be similar.
Ah yes, similar here, very hard to find somehow. Thank you. Made it.

What phone do you have?
A Sony Xperia X F5121. Sorry, should have mention it earlier. I have added the name in the forum settings but it obviously is not shown anywhere. Is there a signature or something like that?

Back
Top Bottom