• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How do I force my phone to ignore (faulty) low attery level?

I know for a fact that my battery level is incorrect. It's a 2500mAh battery, and yet after a couple minutes of heavy use, the battery level will drop to zero and the device will shut itself off.

Weirdly enough, I have this same issue with my MacBook, and I've figured out (at least on the MacBook) what the problem is: the machine isn't calculating the remaining time/percent correctly. If I don't use it to do power-instensive tasks, it will be fine up until the battery truly drains. But if I run, say, high-graphics video games, it will detect the battery's getting used very quickly, somewhere along the line it will freak out thinking that this battery drain is leaving it with seconds to spare, and will shut down. If I press the power button to start up, it won't, only displaying the 'out of battery' symbol on the screen. But, in actuality, there's usually about 30-50% battery left in there. How do I know? If I apply the charger for a bit, even for two seconds and then detaching, forcing the machine to recalculate the remaining battery, it will turn back on and have 30-50% left for me to use.

Here's the thing, though: with my phone, I usually don't have anywhere to charge it. So I'll unplug it in the morning to last me all day, hop on a bus to explore the city, forget about this issue and launch a graphics-intensive game, and then only realise what I've done four or five minutes later when it shuts down on me, thinking the battery's completely depleted.

So here's my question: How can I force the phone to ignore the battery level, and keep sucking juice from it whilst there's juice to be had? I know, I know, it shuts down for my own good, to make sure it has enough battery so that it can power back on again later. But right now, this usually-useful feature is rendering my phone virtually useless. Any advice?

Thanks.

Yes. I have two thoughts. Maybe three.

First, both machines are *nix variants that you use the same way and have connected to each other.

Second, has it occurred to you that they're both possibly infected?

I've used both MacBooks and Androids for years, as intensive as you please and I've never heard of such a thing - unless the batteries are shot or the devices are infected somehow. O.o

PS - shutdown with reserve is to protect the battery life, not user convenience. ;)

I've seen it with a MacBook, suddenly going off prematurely even though it showed plenty of power left in the battery. That actually was a duff battery, and replacing it brought laptop back to normal.

How long have you had the phone, how many times do you think you've charged it since you've had it?

Back
Top Bottom