• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do I know which phone number is the mobile when text messaging?

My supervisor recently switch to Android. When he tries to send a new text message, he searches for the contact name but if they have more than 1 number, it doesn't show which is the mobile. In his contact list though, the numbers are identified by work, mobile, etc.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

It's going to depend on the phone and Android version. On my phone, if there is already an existing conversation with that contact, it will use the previously used number. If I have never had a conversation with the contact or deleted the existing one, then it will show me all numbers and I choose which one.

Which texting/messaging app is he using?
Try checking his Settings >> Apps menu and look in the app's Permissions that 'Contacts' is enabled. If phone numbers are identified as mobile, work, etc. than perhaps the texting app isn't linked to the Contacts app correctly.

All of my message app's identify the mobile number (though since UK uses a different number range for mobile phones you could tell anyway).

There was someone posting recently that their Samsung's stock message app had stopped doing this since a system update. If that's your situation all I can suggest is installing a different SMS app and using that instead.

Back
Top Bottom