• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How do YOU comment on applications?

crazydog

May 20, 2010
Flagstaff, AZ
I'm an Android app developer (ish), and I have made some interesting observations while looking at comments on my own, and mostly other apps.

A good group of people will throw in a one star rating with the following comment (or very similar):
"Doesn't work on [INSERT MODEL HERE]"

The main issue with that kind of comment is how the hell is the developer supposed to know what doesn't work, and what to fix? If they don't have that EXACT same phone, they're not going to be able to solve the problem, and I doubt a majority of the developers out there have the financial ability to purchase every god damn Android phone that has, is, and will be released.

Now, if YOU or someone you know are guilty of such a comment, lemme give you, (or them) a little lesson:
When an app developer submits an application to the Marketplace, they are required to display an email address.
Let me say that again
They are REQUIRED to display an email address!(or website)

If the developer is good for anything, they'll put a REAL email address that they read and you can send emails to! They'll even most likely GREATLY APPRECIATE your correspondence rather than just a comment on their application that says "DOESN'T WORK DROID X" and a measly one star.

I've had one person who emailed me about my first application, about problems, issues, concerns, and what not. He has a completely different phone than I do, and there WERE phone specific issues, believe it or not.

Because he contacted me by email, gave me SPECIFIC information, and kept in contact, I was able to fix the problems, rather than just have the application "NO GOOD DESIRE" on him.

Aaaanyway, that's my rant. If you could spread the word to notorious "Your app is broken on a specific phone model, but I'm such a horrible person that I'm not going to give you ANY information about how I discovered the aforementioned fact," commenters, I'm sure your help will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: CriticalCritic

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones